Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old September 16th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Default Another Brand Bites The Dust

In keeping with a similar thread awhile ago which I don't want to try and now find, I noticed that I couldn't find my favorite shaving cream, Colgate. Turns out my worst fears were realized when I just learned that all Colgate shaving creams have been discontinued. It's not that Colgate was that fantastic, it's merely that I just loved the scent.

As a matter of fact, canned shaving creams are becoming increasingly rare when it comes to selection. Most of the former top brands are now gone, being replaced by the gels (which I absolutely detest). I now use Burma Shave but it's also a "re-brand" and not the original.

I would have reverted to what I originally used a l-o-n-g time ago, Old Spice's mug and brush but that's long gone as well. There are still soaps for the mug and brush but their aromas leave a lot to be desired. Speaking of which Old Spice cologne and after shave only approximates the scent it used to have when Shulton was still around.

Ain't it Hell to get old?

Todd
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Admiral

I have noticed many brands diappesr also. I too hate the gels. I found that Barbasol works out pretty well, but I have considered going back to the old shaving brush.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I hate it when this happens. Have noticed items disappear from the stores all the time...Most are caring less of certain things for whatever reason?? I think we can blame the economy, what a shame.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Todd, I did google and found a few places online that stated they sell Colgate shaving cream and checked out a couple and sure enough Colgate was there. Try google.
2005-2 Princess, 2006-Princess MSC, 2007-NCL,2008-Carnival & RCI, 2009- MSC & Carnival, 2010- 2 Carnival,2011-Carnival, 2012-Carnival & MSC, 2013-MSC & Carnival, 2014- 2 MSC, 2015-2 Carnival & MSC, 2016-NCL & Carnival,2017- MSC, 2018-2 NCL & MSC & RCI, 2019 RCI & Carnival
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Thanks Nancy. I'm checking into it (even though most of the prices border on highway robbery). Ah well, c'est la supply and demand!

Thanks again,

Todd
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Admiral

I guess that I am lucky. I have used an electric razor forever. Now, I wonder if the electricity will disappear.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

As one of those that does the 21st Century version of the "comb over". (I shave my head) It is really a pain in the rear to find a good shaving cream. I too hate the gels and I use Barbasol in the blue can. Now I have a hard time finding the blue can. It is now Barbasol with aloe, or sensitive skin or something else. I just want the old Beard Buster blue.

I also have a harder time finding Mach III blades. Now it's Mach III Turbo or Mach V. Who the heck needs five blades in the razor?

However they do work much better than the "Bic". I walk out of the bathroom with a roll of toilet paper stuck to my head after using one of those.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Admiral

Mike,

I too use the Track III and I swear, I was just thinking a couple of weeks ago when I too couldn't readily find the blades that with my luck, they'll stop making them!

Todd
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Admiral

What's next? Whining about availability of Bay Rum?

Crown Princess March 2017
Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Dough check out Vermont Country store they have a BayRum aftershave.
2005-2 Princess, 2006-Princess MSC, 2007-NCL,2008-Carnival & RCI, 2009- MSC & Carnival, 2010- 2 Carnival,2011-Carnival, 2012-Carnival & MSC, 2013-MSC & Carnival, 2014- 2 MSC, 2015-2 Carnival & MSC, 2016-NCL & Carnival,2017- MSC, 2018-2 NCL & MSC & RCI, 2019 RCI & Carnival
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Admiral

thank God they still make Old Spice
Old September 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If there was a Cracker Barrel for drug store items they would probably have it. Next you'll be finding it in Brookstone for $10/can.

It's so funny, but shaving is a very personalized thing for men. I have a VERY tough beard and I embraced the gels when they firat appeared and that is all I have used since the 70s.

I also muct use good news with NO pivot, thank you. All the pivot does it override your personal control iver the rasor. Now, no-pivot good news razors are more expensive than the pivots because no ione seems to want them anymore.

My dad used a shave cream brush with the cream in a mug and a straight razor. I don't when he switch over to disposables, but it was late. he also slapped on Old Spice.

The last time I tried an alcohol-based aftershave you could hear me screaming in the next state.

And by the way - what do you do when your wife buys you a nice electric razor? You have to try it, right? I gave it a few months but it couldn't tackle my tough beard. I would think they might do well for a bald head, though - there are no sharp angles.
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
And by the way - what do you do when your wife buys you a nice electric razor? You have to try it, right? I gave it a few months but it couldn't tackle my tough beard. I would think they might do well for a bald head, though - there are no sharp angles.
Paul,

My wife purchased a $200 Braun razor. It didn't work at all well. I do keep an electric razor (Norelco Triple Header) for touch ups but it doesn't work too well on my neck and I haven't found one that gives a smooth cut when shaving the head. Unless you rub your head raw.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old September 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If Mike ever used a straight razor I'd want to make certain there was no one within 200 ft. of him at the time
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
An electric shaver won't cut my beard either, just knocks it down for a while, but the red rash camouflages the stubble.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
If Mike ever used a straight razor I'd want to make certain there was no one within 200 ft. of him at the time
Kuki,

I thought you'd got over that incident on Carnival Legend. You only needed 10 stitches. It could have been worse.

Take care,
Mike

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dirknme

It wasn't easy, but I found Old spice shaving cream for the love of my life. I think he has used old spice from the day he first shaved. I always stock up at the post Christmas sales to keep him happy.
His happy wiffe
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Todd, you mentioned "scent" being the selling point for you, well I have the opposite: I am allergic to most scents, and it is hard to find things like shaving cream (legs) and deodorant with NO scent!
I recently went to at least 4 different stores, trying to find my favourite brand of deodorant, Secret UNSCENTED. There must have been 15 different scents available, in Secret and every other brand, but NOTHING UNSCENTED! What ever happened to plain old fresh clean NO scent?
I don't want to smell like a flower or a fruit, or the ocean, or the mountains, or the spring rain or a baby! I want to smell like me!

donna
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Admiral

Default Unscented deodorant

Donna - Mitchum's makes an unscented roll-on and has for years.

Jane

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012