Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old August 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly
Default Unbelievable

You try to do good and catch the tax break. This isn’t even for me but for my 87 y/o Dad.

Charities are unbelievable. I just spent >45 minutes on the phone “trying” to arrange for a charitable donation pickup at my Dad’s condo. He sold it for cash on 7/27. We have to clear it by 8/12 for the closing. My local Goodwill phone numbers are “not in service.” The local religious affiliation wants 3 ˝ weeks notice for a pickup. Amvets, Purple Heart, National Children’s Cancer will not take the 3 sofas or bed.

I FINALLY arranged for Salvation Army to come on Fri 8/5 but they would not commit to a specific ˝ day. So, Dad will go in the am and I lose ˝ days pay to make a “charitable” donation that does not benefit me in any way.
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM
Jordan

Default Re: Unbelievable

Consider yourself lucky that the S.A. agreed to come at all instead of requiring you to deliver such large items. You might consider a second hand furniture dealer instead. If interested, they'd pick the stuff up in a hurry.
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I can understand your frustration. However, I can also understand the constraints that local charities are under. They are grossly understaffed and under supplied when it comes to trucks and people to pick up such materials. They receive a large number of requests for such pick ups.. They also have limited space to store furniture until they can give it to someone who needs it. Charities such as Goodwill make very little on items such as furniture after the costs of pickup and any restoration are factored in. They will rarely pickup large items unless they are in exceptional condition.

I hope that everything works out and that your dad's stuff gets a good new home and benefits someone who can put it to good use.

We recently did a garage sale and gave a large percentage of the take to a local food shelf. The cash helped more than anything and we also received the advantage of the tax deduction.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:08 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

Try Deseret Industries if you have a local store. Either look under Deseret Industries in your local phone book or under the long spelled out name of the mormon church (I won't post the whole thing because of TOS but if you need the name e-mail me. Not saying they'll take it because they've really cracked down on things they will take but it might be worth a try.

Old August 1st, 2005, 08:15 PM
SharB

Another choice could be your local Women's Shelter. They are usually looking for decent furniture.

PS - Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a U-Haul and dump the furniture off yourself, rather than take off half a day of work?? Just curious.

Shar
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:26 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

Or borrow a truck from a friend. That is the downside of owning a truck/van everyone wants to borrow it for just these kinds of things

Old August 2nd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Passenger

Marv,

Don't be surprised if the Salvation Army won't take the sofa and bed.

I'll add my story here ......

A number of years ago my wife and I were trying to give away a very nice sofa that just didn't match our new furniture. We called a few organizations and finally found that the SA was willing to come by and take. It had a very small stain about the size of a quarter on the armrest at the end of the sofa. Other than that it was in perfect condition.

We placed it out at the curb the morning SA said they would be by to pick it up as they had asked us to. We were told that they would come by before 9am to retrieve it. The weather was nice in the morning but it was supposed to rain later that night. We both left for work and I thought nothing of it until I arrived home. It was 6pm and it had only been raining about 20 minutes. There, in the rain and now sitting in the gutter was our beautiful sofa! The SA guys had PINNED a tag on it near the armrest with a notice that said they had been by at 7:30am but refused to take it because of the stain on the armrest! Now the sofa was ruined. The wooden legs were resting in about 2" of water in the gutter and the fabric was soaking wet. As you can imagine, I called them the next day and sreamed bloody murder. I was told that the "pickup men" have the discretion to take or leave any item based on it's condition.

Since then, I have never, ever given any item to the Salvation Army nor do I ever plan to do so.

One note on the Bed. .......

Federal law requires any mattress picked up for resale or donation to be Sanitized before redelivery. My past experience with giving away a bed to any organization is that they won't take it at all. My wife Jean and I tried to give our near-new Sealy California King materss set (nearly $1500 value) to 6 different organizations including the local Woman's shelter to no avail. This was less than a year ago. No one would take it even if we deliered it because of the cost to have it sanitized!. We ended up allowing the fellows that delivered our new Niagra bed to take it to the dump for us.

Ron

Celebrity Cruiselines' "Summit" - Alaska : 14 Days
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:09 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Welove2cruise

You were right. SA did not take the sofas or the bed, not even the frame and headboard and I had been totally upfront re: condition. It cost me $40 bucks to get a couple sr high schoolers to take the stuff out to the dumpster (lucky my oldest DD teaches in the area). I was not there for the pick-up, just my dad and SIL but I would have refused to let them take anything until they did something w/ the sofas and bed. Let the driver explain that to his boss.

Since they VERY much LIED to me I will not donate to SA again, anything, even over x-mas into their kettles. This becomes SA's loss as I am downsizing from an 11 room house to a 5 room condo in about 2 years. Needless to say I have a BUNCH of stuff that I will be getting rid of and it will not go to SA. I also intend to post my experience on EVERY board which I participate. I am more upset about being lied to than anything else. Other places I called told me upfront they would not take the sofras or bed.