CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=278)
-   -   ACRONYMS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273513)

BW July 3rd, 2005 09:16 PM

ACRONYMS

Anybody know any acronyms?

T.G.I.F. Thank God it's Friday

S.H.I.T. Staff Helpers In Training

S.N.A.F.U. Situation Normal, All Fouled Up (''Fouled Up'' was changed from war time)

Bill

Landlubber July 3rd, 2005 09:39 PM

Re: ACRONYMS

W.T.F.C.

rollerdonna July 3rd, 2005 10:10 PM

My favourite was from Tigger: TTFN (Ta Ta For Now!)
Did anyone hear that last week, both the voice of Tigger, and the voice of Piglet, died within a day of each other. Their obituaries were side by side in our local paper "Tigger" and "Piglet".

donna

AR July 3rd, 2005 10:27 PM

Re: Re: ACRONYMS

Yes, Donna, John Fiedler, who was Piglet's voice, lived in the apartment directly across the hall from one of my sons in New York. Matt was very upset at his death, calling him one of the very nicest, most sincere men he's ever known.

As a small memorial, I watched again his wonderful ensemble performance in Sidney Lumet's outstanding film, 12 Angry Men. He's the shy juror with the high voice.

Lombard July 4th, 2005 01:26 AM

FLBUAK

Fault Lies Between User And Keyboard.

Lisa July 4th, 2005 03:08 AM

BOHICA....Bend Over Here It Comes Again

Carole and Johnny July 4th, 2005 12:11 PM

FUBAR -(War Term)

F - "Fouled"(Changed the word here)
U - UP
B - Beyond
A - All
R - Recognition

AR July 4th, 2005 12:54 PM

Some acronyms are unintentionally funny, and made more so when they "stick" for generations and become part of an accepted lexicon where people seldom question the origin.

In motion picture and video production, when a shot is to be made with no accompanying soundtrack recorded, it is slated and logged on the camera sheet as "MOS." Why?

At the dawn of the talkies, the great director Eric von Stroheim was about to do an insert shot which did not require recording audio. When the assistant asked how it should be logged, the answer was "MOS."

"What does that mean?" asked the assistant.

"Mit Out Sount," declared the great man, and so it is to this day.

bigjohn461 July 4th, 2005 12:59 PM

RTD...READY TO DIE
DRT...DECEASED RIGHT THERE
BATS..BROKEN ALL TO SH**
FDGB...FALL DOWN GO BOOM
WTB..WAITING TO BOARD

AR July 4th, 2005 01:02 PM

Then, of course, to stay more on topic, there's always acronyms like posh, which has become a perfectly good English adjective, meaning privileged or fancy or upper crust.

It derives, of course, from the expectations of the elite when booking their cruises, and stands for "port out starboard home."

TomS July 4th, 2005 01:07 PM

SOLEWBA

Sooner
Or
Later
Everyone
Will
Be
Acronyms

TTFN

TomS

BW July 4th, 2005 03:04 PM

AR:

POSH (Port out, starboard home). Rich English people would go to South to the Mediteranean Sea, Spain etc. In order to be in the shade going and coming they would sail port out and starboard home.

Originally the game of G.O.L.F. meant :

Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbiden

Bill

g

Mike M July 4th, 2005 05:40 PM

You want acronyms: In the technology field there are so many that no one, even those in the in the industry, know them all.

I personally still call a "Post It Note" a FLYN". They were notorios in the old IT days for people sticking them in the middle of someone's CRTs and leaving a smudge mark so they became the:

Friggin (or other word)
Litlle
Yellow
Note

Take care,
Mike