Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Drug Companies Patient Assistance

A friend of mine who has diabetes has not the funds to get his meds. He searched for a long time for help. Online he went to the websites of all the major drug companies. He did find most had some sort of patient assistance program in place. He gathered all the info from these websites and took it to his Doctor. He has been able to get a lot of his meds at little or no cost. Unfortunately the drug companies seem to want to keep this quiet. Once on a website you have to dig deep to find what you are searching for.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Drug Companies Patient Assistance

Laura, thanks for your post. I've heard about this, but wasn't sure how one would go about it.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Admiral

just saw an add on television last night from a drug company- advertising assistance for medication. Ironic don't you think?
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Re: Re: Drug Companies Patient Assistance

Lisa, I am surprised it was on television. It is very hard to get the info. When we went to the websites to get info in most cases it was a very tiny amount of info. It was almost never labeled"patient assistance" I always had the feeling the drug companies did not want the info widely known. Lane took the info to the Dr office to get help. The girls who had to deal with it had an attitude about it. He insisted on getting the paperwork started but it really was like they did not want to bother. To top it all off a lot of the paperwork had to be faxed in. Almost every time when Lane would call the Drug Company to find out his status they said they never got the faxes. We always had copies of everything and usually wound up faxing it ourselves. It makes me very angry that this particular Dr and staff did not want to bother on behalf of someone in need. Lane has since changed Dr's and so far so good. The change in attitude was refreshing. My best advice is to keep a copy of everything you never know when you might need it. I hope the word gets around there are so many people out there who need assistance. After seeing Thomas post about his friend I wondered how many people have died needlessly.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Passenger

My mom is undergoing chemo for leukema. Her medication costs her $550 for a 12-day supply (after insurance pays their part). I did a bunch of research online and discovered the drug company has a patient assistance program. Mom's doctor has been wonderful working with the drug company to get a reduction in costs. After about 6 weeks of haggling with them, Mom now gets her meds for free!!