Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old June 17th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Jen W.

Default Cruising without the kids

This may be a little off topic, but hopefully some one may have a little insight that will help.

My husband and I will be taking our very first cruise this December on Carnival's Liberty. This will be our first vacation since the birth of our twins last year. So, in order to insure that we have the opportunity to reconnect as adults, we've decided to leave the babies with the Grandmas for the week. So, my question if this:

If you have traveled with out your children before, what type of legal forms/documentation did you leave with the caregivers?

I figure that I will need to leave an emergency medical consent form and all of the the usual insurance stuff. But, after that, I am at a loss. I just want to make sure that our Moms have complete power to handle any situations that may arise while we are at sea.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jen
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Happy Camper

Default Re: Cruising without the kids

One thing is to get insurance (probably not through the cruise line) that will cover an immediate family member getting ill. I only say this because even though Grandma will have authority I know if anything happened you would want to fly back as soon as possible... I'm sure everything will be fine but it is good to be covered... Debbie
Old June 17th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Yeoman

I watch a cousins son for one month during the summer. She left me the insurance card and also a noterized letter giving me permission to seek medical help.
My neighbor (a pediatrician) stated that was all I legally needed to get medical help for him if needed.
Old June 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You will need to leave the grandparents a notorized letter stating that the grandparents (use their full names) full rights to make all decisions regarding the childs medical care.

As stated before the insurance information is also very important, the hospitals will probably ask for that before the letters of consent.

Grandma and grandpa will probably never use them but it's better to have them and not use them. So get it done and then go and have a great cruise!!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 17th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I leave a signed and notarized letter giving my parents complete authority to make any medical and/or dental or other health care decisions and to seek treatment for my children in my absence. I also give them copies of the health insurance cards, dental insurance card, prescription card and a list of doctors, dentists, and pharmacies which I use. I also list any allergies to any medications. While my kids don't have food allergies, if yours do I would list those too. I also make sure I leave the ship's emergency contact number (for true emergencies only as its about $10 a minute). While in port I check in by email. Also, before you go, I would have them do a few overnights, if possible, to get them used to staying at Grandma's house, if you haven't already.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Yeoman

Believe me......after working in a hospital, I know first hand that the child will not be refused treatment in a life or death situation. But as far as ear aches, broken bones or passing out meds goes, A signed consent is very important.
Old June 17th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Admiral

If you're in Canada, don't forget to leave their medicare cards!

donna

Old June 18th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Jen W.

Default Re: Re: Cruising without the kids

Good morning!

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies to my question. With your input, I feel pretty confident that we'll have all the bases covered before we head out to sea in December. I just found this site last week when I was searching for info for first time cruisers. All of the articles are wonderful and the message boards have been a big help! Now, I just can't wait for our ship, Carnival Liberty, to start sailing so I can hear all of the reviews to build my excitment even more

Thanks again for all of your help!

Jen & the twins
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:20 PM
First Mate

Dear Jen, Give us a review on the Liberty -- Sailing on her in March! Thanks!!