CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=278)
-   -   Spectacular Light Show (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270639)

Mike M November 8th, 2004 05:47 PM

Spectacular Light Show

Last night I and thousands of others in the northern parts of North America were treated to a fantastic display of the Aurora Borealis. I was in an excellent location for viewing. I had left my deer stand before sunset and was waiting for the rest of the party to return to the vehicles. There were no lights to diminish the awesome show. As the sun set I looked up and I was treated to something I had never witnessed in such brilliance. The colors, curtains of light and the shimmering lights were a sight I will never forget. It made any laser light show lame by comparison because this one was done by ionized particles and our own magnetic field.

The Aurora is supposed to be visible for the next two nights. So if you are in the northern part of the country, don't have a lot of city lights to contend with and have clear skies, take a look. You won't be disappointed.

Take care,
Mike(Who'll be looking to northern skies after sunset)

bigjohn461 November 8th, 2004 06:00 PM

Re: Spectacular Light Show

Thanks Mike for that description..you did very well..I read and heard on the news that it was visibile all the way down to the Tenn Valley area which is not far from us.

edited...I just saw the local news and they had reports of seeing the lights in N parts of Ark..so they are shining pretty far south..we will have a crystal clear night and I will ck it out.

Post Edited (11-08-04 17:09)

sandytoesrose November 8th, 2004 07:40 PM

The lights were seen in the suburbs of Chicago. We went out last night, but didn't see them. We will try again tonight.

Donna November 8th, 2004 07:46 PM

Thanks Mike,
Will have a look tonight. I've only seen them once before and there is no way to really describe them, hope to see something...

Terri Ann November 9th, 2004 12:08 AM

Re: Re: Spectacular Light Show

Mike,

The light show was fabulous!!!! I watched it around 10:30 pm (CST) last nite. I live in Northern Illinois about 110 miles due west of Chicago. I remember seeing it only one time before in my childhood. The sheer beauty is difficult to describe. I am going out in a little while to try to see it again tonite.

Terri Ann

VTJen November 9th, 2004 06:06 AM

I missed the show this time, but about 6 years ago we were driving back from Boston one night. From the NH border all the way home I was treated to the most amazing display I have ever seen. We get peaks of them all quite often, but that was something that I shall never, ever forget.

VTJen
Sensation 2/2003
Majesty of the Seas 3/2004

fasteddie November 9th, 2004 06:54 AM

Unfortunately we had too many clouds obscuring the view. Maybe tonight!

Ed

MichelleP November 9th, 2004 09:07 AM

You know, I have never seen the northern lights. Or, maybe I did when I lived in upper Michigan, but I was a small child so I don't remember. You guys are lucky to be able to see such a spectacular show! Maybe someone could try to take a picture for the rest of us.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

CathyM November 9th, 2004 09:50 AM

Mike,
You are indeed very lucky to be able to see such a sight! I think Michele's idea is good, could someone try to take a picture to share? I'm sure we won't get the same effect, but it might be worth the effort. Thanks for sharing your sighting! Cathy

Shelly B. November 9th, 2004 06:27 PM

Being a native Californian, I've never seen the northern lights - I too would love to see some shots!

susancruzs November 9th, 2004 08:05 PM

I'm going to drive north away from my city lights tonight to see what I can see, seems pretty clear out! I think if I get close to the border (Wisconsin) I might have a good look!

Susie