Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old October 21st, 2003, 09:44 AM
susancruzs

Default Hi and I Have a Plan Finally!!!

An e-mail from Phyll reminded me that I haven't been posting very much lately! I've sent a few emails but haven't really posted!

I'm going to pursue a contract job with Manpower so I've been there, filling out endless paperwork, taking lots of tests and interviewing with them. Now I got through that process and each day I get online and spend so many hours on their site for computer training (or re-training) in my case. I'm also learning Lotus Notes, which I haven't used, VW had Outlook.

Seeing as I'm looking at full-time, I also tore apart one of my bathrooms and painting away! Decided to start one of the projects I said I'd do during the year I've been home!

Made this decision after more 20 hr. a week interviews and deciding those jobs don't allow me any time flexibility! Contract work I can do solid in between trips and still be off if I decide I don't want to work.

They were actually anxious to get me because so many of their contract people have to work every week, as that is their full-time job. Me, I don't care if I work two months and then I'm off because I'm not working for benefits.

So at 56 I finally have some direction in my life!!! :-)

Panamaniacs, I'm still keeping an eye on your date!!! :-) Thinking of everyone even tho I haven't been posting!!!

Susie
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Hi and I Have a Plan Finally!!!

Hi Susie, contract work sounds like just the ticket for you! Every job will earn you a new cruise! Good luck!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 21st, 2003, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Susan, sounds great for you. Been thinking about looking for part time or temp work, just something to keep busy and of course the extra money would go towards cruising. Always figured that when I retired I would have all this extra time to cruise, but you can't cruise constantly (at least we can't) and the rest of the time I am bored to tears. Have had lots of people say well just do volunteer work. I don't think so, if I'm gonna work, I'm gonna get paid for it. My mother only raised two dumb kids, they were my brothers :-) Just kiddin.

Carnival Glory
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Hi and I Have a Plan Finally!!!

Glad you found time to post...change can be good and this sounds like a good job for you! We are actually debating if we should move to Germany next spring forever...a big decision that needs lots of thinking. Been here for 20 years and I am ready to move back in a heart beat....so change can be good...

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Old October 21st, 2003, 12:00 PM
Admiral

Dont work too hard----- lol-- but make lots of cruise money.
Cheers to you and nice to see you posting too
April
Old October 21st, 2003, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Susie: It was so nice hearing from you. I'm proud of you and your plan! Good luck with your new endeavors.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 21st, 2003, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Susie, why would you want to go back to work. You just retired last year didn't you?

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:19 PM
susancruzs

Being 56 is the reason! Lots of time between now and early 60's, with the economy, health insurance, etc., need to save "just in case" money! I get almost 60% of my fomer pay, which is fine, health insurance thru VW is cheap but nothing is written in stone. I left with the understanding that benefits can change at any time, it is not a sure signed in blood contract!

They sent a letter with the insurance enrollment new hires as of January 1, 2003, no more subsidizing health insurance for those future retirees.

And there is always that cruise habit to consider! I really don't want to cancel my big extravaganza for next year!

Susie
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Hi and I Have a Plan Finally!!!

I understand. It's the health insurance which drives a lot of today's behavior. My father is 74 years old and while not officially retired he continues to hold a couple of his long term accounts just so he can maintain his health benefits through the employer sponsored program. That's pititful.

I have an aunt and uncle who RV full time and when she needed knee surgery they found the price with insurance to be anywhere between $8000 and $10,000 with the co-pay to be about 25% or so. So they investigated the same surgery without insurance and negotiated a price for cash and found it to be $2100. They saved money by paying in cash rather than using insurance.

Our employer sponsored plan is declining in benefits every year too. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth having insurance or whether it would be better to sock that money away each month and then pay cash for services.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:50 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

Sounds like from your email that you are excited and you have every right to be! You´re on a mission!

Smart of you to bank extra aside. You´re right about nothing being written in stone. Can I sing a few songs about that!

Crossing my fingers for you!

nekar
Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Like the plan, Susie. E-mail to follow.