Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old August 27th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Messy Cabin Photos

Hi all,

Just had to giggle when I was perusing the photo galleries. People are always kind enough to post photos of their cabins, but it sure shows you what the cabin stewards are up against -- a lot of them are pig stys! Towels thrown on the beds, junk all over the vanity tops, pillows everywhere etc.

On the other hand, cabin stewards love us! I always set up the cabin as my little home for the week, so everything is in its place, all the cruise information is put in a drawer, vanity tops clear, etc etc. We also only use the one trash can so there is only one to empty. (See attached photo)

It happens time and time again that our cabin steward says something to the effect that they can always zip through our cabin, just turning down the bed, etc (we even straighten the bed up in the morning because I don't like to look at a messy bed. I also always roll all the wet towels in one big tootsie roll so they don't have to touch any damp towels.

The biggest compliment we ever got was on Carnival when the cabin steward came up to us on the morning of departure and said, "You are the two cleaniest men I've ever had on the ship!"

To each his own but I think it's funny when you see the other side of the coin with the cabins.

:-)

Harry

Old August 27th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Messy Cabin Photos

Harry, I've heard about people like you, they have the Felix Unger syndrome. {{wink}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old August 27th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Ya'll are sick.

j/k

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 27th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Admiral

ROFL, you make me laugh Thomas!

We aren't neatniks nor are we slobs. Don't make the bed on a cruise, but do pick up after myself and "Da Coot" (he needs a maid at home why would a ship be different). But I agree, have passed cabins that looked like a tornado passed thru them. Don't really know how the stewards even find the bed to make it. They certainly do earn their money.

Carnival Glory
Old August 27th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Admiral

I don't know, Harry. I still make the bed at home every morning, which is only right since I'm the last one up. But I certainly don't do it in a hotel or a ship's cabin. I'm a bit of a "neat freak" myself, but you gentlemen seem to have taken it to a new level.

As for the towels, you're supposed to place them on the bathroom floor if you want fresh ones. I agree that they shouldn't be strewn on the beds or elsewhere, and I could never fathom how people could leave their dirty clothes out in full view.

If were a cabin steward, I'd appreciate you too. But I'd still expect my full gratuity. And finally, I'll tell you one thing for sure; my wife would love to have you as a houseguest ... anytime! <wink> You should see how the visiting grandkids leave their rooms as they head for the theme parks!

Jack

Post Edited (08-27-03 13:35)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 27th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Admiral

, great posts!

I think I do it 'cause I would do the same at home, but, more importantly, having cleaned houses for a living many moons ago, I just feel for someone who has to pick up someone else's soggy soap at the end of a cruise (always toss ours in the trash before we leave).

, therapy may be in order.

Harry
Old August 27th, 2003, 05:04 PM
SharB

Wow, Harry!
You can clean my house ANY TIME! We always leave things out of sight when leaving our stateroom whenever possible. Sometimes the room doesn't have space to "hide" our snorkle gear - those flippers take a lot of space, but at least they don't impede the steward from cleaning the room.

Capt Ron says hi to you and we both give our regards to Art! (did you get my e-mail?)

Shar
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

OK - I will keep the top of the vanity neat, I will put away my makeup up onto the shelf in the bathroom or back in the makeup bag, but I will not make my bed on a cruise!

Old August 27th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I do it..but have trouble throwing the towels on the floor..I could NEVER have a butler in my cabin picking up after me etc....I try to keep al my purchases together, that i am very neat with...................shoes are everywhere there is free floor space
Trip/ Monday Chat Host
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Looking at that picture....does anybody actually LIVE in that cabin?? <VBG>

donna

Old August 27th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Donna, that was after 4 nights!

Harry
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Question: We usually leave room service trays in the cabin for pickup by the cabin steward -- do others leave 'em outside? (I think it crowds the hall)

Harry
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Admiral

We leave them in the hall. They usually go bye bye real fast that way. Besides they crowd the cabin too! That's probably selfish but who wants to look at dirty dishes?
When we were on the Amsterdam they told us to call for room service to pick them up.
Is that really what you are supposed to do?
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:48 PM
First Mate

I am the same way as some of the other post. I make sure everything is picked up and in place and the only thing I do not do is fix the bed. But I have been on two previous cruises that were also booked by graduation classes and have passed a couple of rooms that the door was open and steward was just standing there like "where do I start".

Old August 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Messy Cabin Photos

Same here. I drives my husband crazy; but nothing ever gets lost! At home I clean the house before I leave to run around all day and do errands. I like to come home to a clean house. The same goes for cruising. I am away all day, the last thing I want to do is come back to a messy cabin. But I have to say...I don't think our cabin is ever as clean as the picture. lol
Old August 28th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Admiral

We try to keep our room fairly neat and keep things like dirty clothes out of sight... but would never go as far as making the bed!

And if I was a "cabin slob" I certainly wouldn't take a picture of it, and especially wouldn't post that picture on a cruise site photo gallery for all the world to see!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 28th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Admiral

My cabin is messier than that photo before I ever walk in the door. As I'm walking down the hallway with my carry-on's on embarkation day the bed is already coming undone, the glasses are already filling up with day-old soda, the sink has toothpaste drips in them and the dirty clothes are piling up in the closet.

You all kill me!

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 28th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Admiral

, these are too fun.

Harry
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:12 PM
joyful

I have to join some of the other cruisers who have responded and say that I would never make my bed on a cruise, either! I make it everyday at home, but not on a cruise (I don't make the bed at a hotel, either).

When it is just my husband and me, we manage to keep the cabin in much better order than when the boys are with us. I usually find a place for everything, and TRY to keep them where they go, but if we get in a hurry, everyone trying to get out the door to dinner, etc., it sometimes gets dicey. I do keep dirty clothes picked up, don't want the room steward to have to deal with that, and towels stay in the bathroom (on the floor when we are done with them).... But we definately let them do their jobs. For a busy mom and dad of three busy kids, we try to really get out of our everyday routine while on a cruise, and shirk some of our normal responsibilities. It feels good, and then we don't mind going back to the routine once we get back home.

I love hearing what other folks do, makes me feel more normal, and realize how different we all are, which is cool!

By the way, off topic a moment, my son (11 year old) watched the towel animal demonstration on our Sovereign cruise last week, and on our way home, at the hotel we stopped at, he left a perfect towel monkey hanging in the closet for the housekeeper to find. I would have loved to have seen his/her face when it was discovered!
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Messy Cabin Photos

Michelle, I recognize that cabin as the Fantasy. Did you know you can fit exactly 121 Michelob bottles in the window sill and still get sunlight to shine through?

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 28th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Admiral

Michelle, I recognize that cabin as the Imagination, it's exactly the same as ours was except you actually had a window behind your curtain, where we had a wall (or maybe it was blocked cy 121 Michelob bottles!!)

donna

Old August 28th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Messy Cabin Photos

A ha, I have fooled the great Thomas! It was the imagination.

Thomas, I'm glad I didn't have your sail & sign bill!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 28th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Thomas, you're in rare form today! And I'll bet you're not even finished yet. Now please pick up your room! <grin>

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Messy Cabin Photos

Hmmm..............it is identical to the cabins on the Fantasy but then they are sister ships in the Fantasy class. Seeing that picture makes me want to book a quick trip next week. Wait a minute...........................................o ops, no time left.

Wonder if my boss (Mrs. Thomas) will let me off just long enough to run through the cabin, mess it up, and take a picture to post?

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 30th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Having had the pleasure of being a houseguest in Harry and Art's home, I can tell you that either one of them would be a great cabin steward. But more fun at the table.

TeeHee, the laugh is still on Art, though. Or maybe it's me. One day I was going to catch the Amtrak up to Orange County to have lunch with some writer friends. I dressed carefully, made sure I had my goodie bag and we piled into the Camaro. Top down. ZOOM to Amtrak station. (Only way in a Camaro.)

Kindly (and fortunately) Art accompanied me into the station. "ID, please."

I'd left all that stuff back at Harry & Art's. "I need a PASSPORT for Orange County?"

ZOOM back to the house. ZOOM back to the train station.

When I returned home that evening, Art was driving the more sedate Lincoln.

We got back to the house, Harry made me a drink and inquired, as any good concierge would do, "And did you have a good day?"

"All except for the Hair by Camaro."

Theirs is one of the most delightful homes I've ever visited. But CLEAN. Whatever you do, don't hide your shopping bag on a bar stool. It grows legs and runs back to your room.

I here I thought I was tidy !!!
Old September 2nd, 2003, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Messy Cabin Photos

Thomas, just in case you get back here to read this... the only difference is the picture on the corner light. On the Imagination they are of ships. I don't remember what they are on the Fantasy but it's a different picture.

Cheers,
Michelle B.