Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old November 11th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Default Honoring Veteran's Day

Thank you to all of you that have kept our great nation free.
Old November 11th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Honoring Veteran's Day

Don't forget our Air Force Veterans! My dad served over 30 years and I am so proud of him.

Other branches, report in!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 11th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Honoring Veteran's Day

My husband is a veteran too...7 years Military....

June 1st 2015--- Denali Explorer Cruise on Star Princess!

Dec 18, 2014 Caribbean Princess
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Up here in Canada it's called Rembrance Day, rather than Veteran's Day... but the idea is the same. We take the time to think of, and thank, those who fought, and those who gave their lives, for freedom.
My thanks to ALL of them!!

Old November 11th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Seven years, United States Navy, 1968-1975 and proud of it. Yeah, that means I'm a Vietnam Vet and yes I am still proud of my service, my country called and I answered.
Jim

Old November 11th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Thank you to all who served in the armed forces, and thank you to those who gave their lives so that we could be free.

My husband, Jake, served on a nuclear sub and in the nuclear sub school for 8 years.
Although I knew what he did was dangerous, I never realized how dangerous it was until I read the book-"Blind Man's Bluff". Glad I didn't know then, what I do know now.

Phyll

Old November 11th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Admiral

On the wall of my office is a certificate ... it says:

In grateful memory of Boyd W. Stauffer, who died in the service of his country, at sea, Asiatic Area, attached U.S.S. U.M.S 472, 17 September 1945.

He stands in the unbroken line of patriots who have dared to die that freedom might live, and grow, and increase its blessings.

Freedom lives. And through it, he lives -- in a way that humbles the undertakings of most men.

/s/ Harry S. Truman

That fellow was Queeg's father. Consider his joyous mom who was so relieved that her husband was coming home to her and that nasty little Andy.

Dead by typhoon. Hardly an act of war.

Andy's mom eventually married again. Her new husband served in the Korean exercise and steadfastly lied to her about what his missions were. "I am flying a desk." He was a hero seven times over. She didn't have the first clue until the medals started arriving in her mailbox.

My own dad was in the 101st Airborne in WWII. He didn't HAVE to go to war. He was the only son of a farming family. He was married. But he felt that he HAD TO. He sustained an injury on D-Day that left him in pain for the rest of his life.

My brother skated out by enlisting in the National Guard (suply unit) when Viet Nam came along. Both my husbands got "passes", one working for an essential industry and the other for being married, a father, and a sole surviving son.

I watched "Saving Private Ryan" the other night and bawled my eyes out.

I have every respect for those who served and honor them on this day. If I can find my dog tags, I think I will wear them to bed tonight. Yeah, I WENT.

Maybe Rick will come along to say why he calls me "SA."

All that said, it still makes me sick to my stomach that there isn't a better way.

Old November 11th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Admiral

My father is a Vietnam Vet as is my Husband.
Not sure of my dad's unit, but John was with 1/7th Cavalry Airmobile - Bravo Company (We Were Soldiers)
He was an infantry Grunt.
God Bless all of our Heroes!
Today we were in the Veterans Day Parade, and tonight Golden Corral is offering free meals to vets and their spouses.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Big Hugs to All)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Old November 11th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Admiral

U.S. Army--Vietnam, class of 67/68.
Just glad to be here. Sometimes when I see and hear people complain that the food isn't right, the cabin steward doesn't do this or that, ship veered sharply and woke me up, etc, it just makes me want to say--you haven't got a clue as to what matters.

A big salute to all who have "been there--done that"
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Ron,
John is U.S. Army - - Vietnam, class of 68-70 From I Corp to IV Corp.

Old November 11th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Lets not forget the best branch of the Military.........USMC! <G> Seriously, all our best wishes to all our Vets.

Old November 11th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Admiral

SEMPRE FI RICK!!!
(((((((HUG))))))))))))

Post Edited (11-11-02 19:44)
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Admiral

SA Sky Angel. Those beautiful ladies that we saw when we boarded the Freedom Bird for home. Lets not forget all the civilians who gave so much for our Military. Thank you Sky Angel, you are as beautiful as ever I guess I should say I am sorry we stared at your butt during the entire flight but I can't...lol.

Old November 11th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Carole and Johnny.....Thank you Deb and I send our love.

Old November 11th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Give Deb a big hug Rick!!!

Old November 12th, 2002, 02:11 AM
Admiral

Oh, Rick ...

And here I thought you were staring at my FRONT. You really know how to hurt someone

Need I say it wasn't by accident that we chopped off our fatties as high as possible then ripped the seams almost all the way up to the waistbands? And that we wore the smallest T-shirts the law would allow and the Air Force would issue?

The SA team was in a very different sort of combat. We had to deliver our brothers, our boyfriends, the guys we went to school with, and those who commanded them to the killing fields. And kiss them goodbye. We never knew what part of the airplane they'd be in on the way back home.

As someone who considered "that" war as the ultimate evil and past morality, I still consider it to be an honor and a privilege to have been the first taste of coming home to so many. The part that still hurts, all these years later, is that the SAs might have been the LAST taste of home to those who died.

When, after a great deal of soul-searching, I returned to Viet Nam a few years ago, I made my peace. But the hurt will never go away. Thanks be to G*d that the anger has. Now, there is just infinite sadness. That will NEVER go away.

At the same time, though, there are such wonderful memories of face-splitting grins, hugs, and sloppy kisses when "the guys" got onboard and knew, for sure, that home was not so far away. But, to the man, they knew how many comrades were being loaded into the cargo bay for a very different kind of journey home.

As I celebrated the guys, like you, who stared at my butt, I grieved for the families of the guys who didn't get a chance to do it.

I still do.

Old November 12th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Admiral

As one of the "youngins" on this board, I will add that my generation is very blessed not to have experienced such an awful thing as a major war. I pray that we never will.

I have visited the Vietnam Memorial twice; the first time I was fourteen and foolish, and thought "big deal." The last time was a year ago. I saw that wall, and the immensity of the number of names on it struck me. I knew most of those names belonged to people my age and younger. Those could have been my friends, my brother, my fiance. I cried.

My dad is a Vietnam veteran and so is my uncle. They don't talk much about their experiences, but I know they must live every day with what they went through and the friends they lost.

Unfortunately, wars are a fact of life when there are so many vicious people out there struggling for power. In a small way, I hope I am doing my part to prevent mass casualties in the future. I work for a defense contractor. Yes, I help develop weapons. But I take comfort in the fact that these weapons are long-range and will help keep our servicemen and women out of harm's way.

I pray that my generation might continue to know peace, but that we will not forget the past and thus repeat some of the mistakes that were made.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old December 4th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Test

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old December 4th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Admiral

test

Old December 4th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Admiral

testing