Old February 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Passenger

Default Repositioning...what is it?

OK I admit I am a cruise dummy...what does it mean when people say they are going on a "repositioning cruise"?

Just want to be in the know!

Thanks!

Patty
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Passenger

Repositioning cruises are when a ship has been doing one particular trip and is now going to be doing another. Example....if a ship has been doing Caribbean cruises out of Florida and for the next season will be doing Alaska cruises, the trip from Florida to the starting point of the Alaskan cruises would be the repositioning cruise. Make any sense? They do put in some ports along the way and these cruises are generally a bit less expensive than normal.

Hope this helps a bit.
Marilyn
Old February 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Passenger

Thanks Marilyn...makes sense!

Know I will be "in the know"!

Patty
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In most cases, when doing a "repo" cruise you will depart from one port and depart at another. You will find most of these cruises in the spring, when ships are returning to Alaska and in the fall, when they are coming back from Alaska.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I thought it was when my leg fell asleep and I had to turn over.

Seriously: The information you have been given is correct. The ship is changing its itinerary and must change its home port from one port to another.

Oft times there are some good deals on these cruises. Many Transatlantic and many Panama Canal cruise are often repositioning cruises. These are when ships switch from Caribbean itineraries to European itineraries or from the Caribbean to West Coast or South American itineraries. I often try to talk my wife into taking an Atlantic repo cruise. It's little money but not too many ports. If you like the ship and a lot of sea days it's a great cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Admiral

And all this time I thought it had to do with what went on after the doors closed in the cabins.
Seriously. Two best cruises I ever took were repo cruises. Mercury, returning to Caribbean after doing Alaska, we did San Diego to Ft Lauderdale , 14 days including Mexican Riviera, Costa Rica and Panama Canal.
Summit Repositioning at the end of Alaska. We did a normal 7 day Alaska (shopping bargains were great as we were usually the last ship in town)
and all the way down the west coast ending up in San Diego.
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Papa:

You'll have to change your name to "RepoMan" I don't think the grandkids would go for that.

You make a great point in that repositioning cruises often give you a chance to have a longer cruise and visit ports that are often missed on many other cruises.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Captain

My "repo" cruises rank at the top of my favorite cruises list! All cruises are great but to me the ones where I start in one place and end up in another, just makes it more fun!

I've cruised from LA to 6 ports in Alaska before ending in Vancouver, which gave me more Alaska than the regular cruises, plus we had sea days from LA to Sitka.

Another one was going from Miami to New York then to France and England, a different transatlantic.

Of course, this year going from England to New York via Iceland and Greenland and Newfoundland is my favorite at the moment! Iceland and Greenland were absolutely wonderful!

I look for the unusual itineraries.
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Mike

Seriously: The information you have been given is correct. The ship is changing its itinerary and must change its home port from one port to another.

In standard maritime usage, a ship's "home port" is its port of registry -- and it's centered below the ship's name on the stern. Nassau, Bahamas, is the home port of most of Celebrity's ships. A change of home port is requires re-registration of the vessel with the appropriate authorities. Note that a vessel's home port must correlate with her nationality. A vessel whose home port is New York is therefore of U. S. registry.

It's extremely rare for a ship to change its "home port" when it repositions. Rather, it changes its operational base. By way of example, the home port of MV Mercury is Nassau, Bahamas, but her current base of operations is San Diego, California, for the Mexican Riviera season. When she repositions in May, she will move her base of operations to Seattle but Nassau will remain her home port.

BTW, writers in the travel industry who confuse these terms do a gross disservice to all concerned. I take such misuse of terminology as evidence that either (1) the writer does not know the subject matter adequately to write about it or (2) the writer is deliberately misrepresenting facts. In either case, the the entire work is not reliable.

BTW, consider what misrepresentations of this kind can do. Suppose Joe Brown reads that a particular ship's "home port" is Galveston, and thus books a cruise on that ship even though it's more expansive than a cruise on another vessel because he believes it to be of U. S. registry based upon the article. He's aware that the U. S. Coast Guard has long held vessels of U. S. registry to a higher standard than many foreign countries, so he expects that this ship is safer than others. How do you think that he will react when he gets to the ship and finds if flying some foreign flag?

Norm.
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:24 AM
Admiral

My next ship is now completing a back to back repositioning. Summit based in Los Angeles starting in mid-December, running 2 week cycles to Hawai'i and back. Then on Feb 12, she repositioned to Port Everglades. She repositioned again last Sunday, arriving in LA on March 12. And when she docks on that date, I reposition to a cabin aboard her.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Passenger

Hi,

It means that the ship is sailing from that particular port for the last time during a season. Where the final destination is that she docks will be where she starts sailing from for how ever long she is scheduled to so do.

So this mean s for the passenger that you will be boarding the ship in one port and disembarking at another port and going home from there.

Nancy