Old February 27th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Suska

Default airline arrangements

We've booked a Vancouver to Seward cruise in August and had the cruise line take care of air arrangements. I was wondering what other people's experiences were regarding getting good flight schedules from Celebrity and if there were any problems, e.g., getting tickets in a timely manner in case changes needed to be made, etc.
We're flying out of Denver International and hoping we won't get stuck with a red eye flight or one with multiple transfers. Does anyone know if Celebrity gives better airline itineraries to those who book early or do they schedule them all together after the ship is filled?
Old February 27th, 2003, 10:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: airline arrangements

If you are a memeber of the Captain's Club, you can use the perk of Custom Air, or pay an additional $25 (I think) for this service. You can specify airlines, flights, etc. Well worth it, especially if you belong to Captain's Club. We're sailing Vancouver-Seward in May. We used our Custom Air perk with Captain's Club, and took the $169 pp fare from Celebrity. We were able to specify airline and flights. They wanted to charge us additional for our requested flights, but our TA negotiated very well and we didn't have to pay extra. SFO-Vancouver, Anchorage to SFO for $169 pp which includes transfers (airport to hotel and hotel to pier) is a great deal. Checked yesterday on Travelocity, and the lowest fare was about $500 pp., which doesn't include transfers. Shopt around, and negotiate hard.
Good luck.
Old February 27th, 2003, 06:18 PM
dick stein

Trusted them once. I'm a Captains Club member, live in Cleveland. Going they flew us to Baltimore on Southwest and to Newark on USAir Express. (the little propeller job) Scared my wife to death. Coming back it was US air to Pittsburg and USAir express to Cleveland (a propeller job again). Haven't trusted them since. Good luck and let us know. The way I have done yours myself is as follows. I book a round trip to Vancouver and a one way from Anchorage to Vancouver. The cost of the one way can equal the other. Go to Orbitz and try it. Last time I saved $200 over the cruise lines airfare. Let me know.
Old February 28th, 2003, 04:23 PM
hcat

from limited experience, I would suggest that if you go with the cruiseline booking your air, always pay for custom air to get the flights you want. (non-stop, no puddle jumopers) Even so the tix can come fairly late & you definitely will get the worst seats available Upside is that if there's a snafu the cruiseline must re-route you. If you book on your own then it's up to you.-