Old August 17th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Cruises screw up

Just wanted to let you all know of a problem I encountered with Celebrity Cruises so the same thing does NOT happen to you!

We booked for our August 2, 2002 Infinity Alaska cruise in November of LAST year so that we could ensure our pick of cabins. I spent many hours researching and reading posts here to find the "perfect" cabin. We found one and decided to splurge on a sky suite since this trip was intended to celebrate our anniversary (not too near to the elevators, on the right hand side of the ship, no cabins across from us, on the same deck as other suites and one with a slightly larger balcony). This cabin was even confirmed by Celebrity Cruises via a fax!

When we received our documents from the cruise liner, I noticed that our room was NOT the same one as confirmed and our travel agent was told from Celebrity that it was an "upgrade" (the new sky suite WAS slightly larger in size but it was intended for wheelchair occupants). We were VERY disappointed by this...we did not consider it to be an upgrade (this suite was on deck 8, right next to the elevators and there were cabins directly across from us). Upon further investigation, Celebrity had DOUBLE-BOOKED our original cabin and only noticed this error in December and sent a fax to our travel agent (she did not receive this fax) that stated our new cabin number. If Celebrity had noticed their error sooner, we could of chose another cabin that would fullfil most of our requirements but instead, we had no choice of cabins.

After speaking to a customer representative, Celebrity could only offer us a shipboard credit of $100 for the both of us! I found this to be an insult because basically we were paying for a guaranteed cabin and not one of our choice and I felt we should have been compensated more. You can save more money than $50 pp by booking a guaranteed cabin.

I sent an email and a fax to their pre-cruise customer service outlining this concern and to this day, I have not heard a response.

Thanks for listening!
Old August 18th, 2002, 12:45 PM
cruznut6

Default Re: Celebrity Cruises screw up

Where's your TA in all of this? He or she should have gotten your doc's in time to review them and to get Celebrity to make concessions, whether financial or upgrade. I didn't think a computer could assign a cabin to 2 different people. You shouldn't have to fight them, your TA should. BTW, Celebrity will contact your TA when making any upgrade, first to get your OK. If you booked a certain cabin number, you must approve or reject the change, so I'd be suspicious of your TA 's part in this also. Mistake by Celebrity; maybe. Mistake be TA; probably (IMO).

Regards...Bob
Old August 18th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to abbymac Send a message via MSN to abbymac Send a message via Yahoo to abbymac

I agree with Bob that something seems fishy here. Mistakes do happen. But the cruise line is working with your TA on this - and your TA is getting paid by you to handle these types of issues. You should not be dealing directly with Celebrity. A travel agent should have the knowledge and expertise to get satisfaction from the cruise line on your behalf.

The fact that Celebrity says they faxed your TA raises questions. It is normal practice for the cruise line to seek a passenger's permission before changing their room (unless it is a big upgrade - i.e. from a regular cabin to a suite etc).

You should immediately call our TA and have him/her handle this....or explain why he/she can't.

abby
Old August 18th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Babette

Default Re: Re: Celebrity Cruises screw up

Oh yes... there is something rotten in Denmark... or wherever your agent happens to be.

First of all, how did your agent make your reservation? Through Celebrity's online booking system, CruisingPower??? If so, it is impossible to doublebook a particular cabin.

My guess is that this agent did a telephone reservation to Celebrity... after getting off the phone with you... Perhaps not calling in the reservation in a timely manner... and the cabin you wanted was gone. Agents who do phone bookings (shame on them and there are too many of them) do receive confirmation faxes.

When a client has been upgraded by Celebrity, the agent does receive a fax. My agent faxes those faxes to me when they occur.

I'm sorry but all indicators are leaning towards the agent screwing up in this situation... not Celebrity.

Secondly, a guarantee booking does not warrant a lower price than an assigned cabin booking at all times.
Old August 18th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity Cruises screw up

For the record, if this t/a was making this booking into group space being held, it would have to be done by telephone. At present, booking into a group through CruiseMatch is a near impossible undertaking with Celeb and RCI... although that will change before too long. So... double bookings can and do occur, albeit not too frequently. All bookings made with Celeb... through their booking engine or by telephone are confirmed by fax to the t/a. I too don't understand why the poster is busy contacting Celebrity. This is a job for the t/a who can go in via the back door and get some things done. From what I'm reading here, I agree that the t/a seems, to be kind, less than efficient.
Old August 18th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Celebrity Cruises screw up

Celebrity did this to me on a Millennium cruise. We had booked a highly coveted Corner Cat 3 cabin. I even had a copy if the fax confirmation months earlier from my TA. Those idiots at Celebrity tried to tell us a Cat 2B was an upgrade from a Cat 3. My TA raised hell with them and I got my cabin back. I also demanded to have another fax confirming this. But then here's what they did. They never told the other family that I was given back my original Cat 3 cabin. So when we arrived at the ship, their luggage came to our room and they even showed up. Fortunately we had arrived earlier and unpacked. Also the table assignment for dinner was in our name. Boy were they mad. They apparantly got our 2B cabin then.
Old August 19th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Marnie

This sounds strange. My TA uses the online system to gather the information concerning the cabin assignment and table reservations then calls the cruiseline to confirm everything, then gets the fax all while I'm sitting there. If Celebrity admits to the double booking, then they had your reservation and it does sound like Celebrity made the mistake. How could the double booking happen? I have no idea. As Abbeymac said, Celebrity should need the customer's OK on the cabin switch. And if Celebrity just selected a cabin for you, you should have been booked as a guarantee and it should appear that way on the cruise documents. Maybe it would have saved a few bucks, maybe not. I agree you should have some credit for the cabin switch that you didn't OK.

When you hear back from Celebrity's customer service, please post their response. I am very curious to see if there's more to this. That's what I love about these boards; you can learn so much from other people's experiences. Thanks for sharing.
Old August 19th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Bill-the-girl,
Somthing definately is wrong with this deal! Celeberity should never 'upgrade' anyone unless they ask them first for permission to do so, it just isn't done. additionally your TA is the one that is supposed to be handling all these problems, they are the ones getting paid for it and they are your AGENT, defination of is your personal representative! YOU should not have to do anything except say yes or no to your agent. Somebody is not telling the truth, period.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old August 20th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Passenger

I believe our ta did book via the phone and when she received our faxed confirmation, she sent me a copy of it. She always sent us copies of any correspondence from Celebrity.

So it sounds like double-booking is pretty common? I still don't understand how this can happen.

I do agree that our ta was partly at fault. When it came time to pay the rest of our balance (I believe it's 90 or 60 days before sailing), she could of noticed the change of cabin then. I don't know whether at that time if anything could of been done either. She was assuming that since she had our cabin assignment in writing, it would not change. When Celebrity finally figured out their mistake a month later, I think the only sky suite available was the one we got (the price was so good that I'm sure they sold out quickly). This new cabin assignment was faxed to our ta at this time but she never received it so we could not approve or disapprove the change. Celebrity said that since our ta did not respond back to the fax, they just assumed it was alright. I just hope that Celebrity would change their pollicy so that if they make any cabin assignment changes due to their mistake, they would contact travel agents via the phone and not by fax to confirm. In our case, we did not find out about the change until after we received our docs.

However, if Celebrity did not double book in the first place, we would not have been in this situation.

To set the record straight, our ta did contact Celebrity and tried to negotiate with them but I'm just a type A personality person that I *had* to call their customer service line and speak with someone. I have been researching and planning this trip for almost 2 years that I couldn't just sit there and wait.

Thanks for everyone's input!

ps. I still have not heard back from Celebrity but when and if I do, I'll post it here for those who are interested.
Old August 23rd, 2002, 02:50 PM
Longboysfan

Default Re: Re: Celebrity Cruises screw up

Here is what you should do.

Write to the line again. I had a problem with the cost of a cruise shortly after 9/11.
I wrote about the cruise and a lot of other POSITIVE things that happened on the cruise.
Also popinted out superior srevice by people on the ship.

They sent me $400.00 in cruise coupons.

Just ask nicely....

They respond well.
Old August 30th, 2002, 10:45 AM
lily

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity Cruises screw up

Hi, just curious what cabin you were originally holding? Was the handicapped sky suite bigger than the others? We are currently holding #6126 and have seen the handicapped sky suites available at different times. By the way, on our trans-canal cruise there is now a 'guarantee' available for $4,200 pp. I was very excited thinking it must be for royal suite....wrong...it's for cat.3 or higher.

And, I was a travel agent for years, specializing in areas other than cruises, but it sounds to me that your travel agent dropped the ball on this one. I find it very hard to believe she didn't receive the fax. I think she just put it aside and forgot about it (which is very easy for overworked agents to do). Celebrity is much too big and automated to sneak around and withhold information.