Old April 9th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Carnival's New Room Service Charges

Hello all,

I was just wondering how do you feel about the new room service items charges that Carnival introduced on 3 of their ships. For those of you who haven't heard, here is a link:

So what do you think about that?

Last edited by Kuki; April 10th, 2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Captain

From what I read the "Free Room Service" menu is basically the same. The pay for items are new additions. I also believe other lines are doing something about room service like charging for orders placed between midnight and 5 or 6 in the morning. I have seen in past cruises room services trays left in hallways with a lot of unused food. Seems to me that all Carnival (and other lines as well) are doing to is trying to limit waste especially from the drinking crowd that were ordering late but never really eating what they order. As an aside we just finished a cruise on RCCL (I know that's treason but is was with a group from where we used to live in Florida) and on that cruise between midnight and 6 in the morning the ONLY food available was room service and there was a charge for that. At least on Carnival pizza is available 24-7.

I was a little put off with one of the headlines on Yahoo that said (Carnival now charging for room service) and somewhere deep down in the article it did say that the free menu was still available.

Just my humble opinion

Need some cruise help?
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Admiral

MC, I agree but I don't know how many cruisers will differentiate between the old 'free' menu and the new pay items. If I remember correctly Carnival has pared back the room service offerings, particularly hot breakfast items over the years.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I don't have an issue with the charges for certain food items...Anyone can certainly find something within the free offerings, and be satisfied, I'm sure...though some people may be upset, finding what they want, has a charge, you have an option...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 10th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Welcome Newcomer

The comments make sense. Still the whole thing is pretty confusing - it's kind of a drawback if you are cruising for the first time....
Old April 10th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, it sure can be confusing for even a past cruiser. Cruising has changed a lot over the last few years....It is best to read everything you can before your cruise, do your homework, so you won't have any unexpected charges.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome to Cruisemates cruise pro....I actually think it will be harder for long time cruisers, who have gotten used to things, the way they were. Newbies tend to read everything, to get the lay of the land, so to speak..less apt to have a slip up,.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 12th, 2015, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Yes, new cruisers will probably not blink an eye. I wonder how many people would actually order a full breakfast or meal from room service with a ship full of free restaurants? I guess if you are one of the people who would order cooked to order eggs in your cabin, you would be very glad to see them on the menu, even for a small fee. Me, I would walk to the buffet and get them for free, and hot. But I would think this will effect a very small percentage of cruisers as most prefer the buffets and restaurants for meals vs room service.

I could not find the link for Carnival, but my understanding is that some hot items like eggs were added for a nominal fee, while the rest of the menu remains free with no delivery charge. And I think I heard that Royals two new ships have some sort of charge attached to RS but I don't know any of the details.

Norwegian on the other hand, is currently testing room service changes on two ships, and first tried to charge $7.95 for every delivery on one ship. They at first added some cooked to order items which were all free, but charged $7.95 per order even if it was just coffee and Danish or a mini box of cereal and milk for your kid. This went over like a lead balloon, so for now they have backed off the $7.95 charge for continental breakfast items. I'm sure this will be rolled out to the entire fleet soon unless Norwegian cruisers make enough protest.

So, to me, the lesser of two evils would seem to be Carnival's plan, mostly keeping free room service as before, with only a few for fee items added for those who think they are worth the charge. The extent of our room service use is usually at most a pot of coffee to enjoy early am on the balcony. No way will I pay $7.95 for the privilege. We are not wee hour noshers, but NCL does have a 24 hour restaurant for a full meal. They have had a fee between 12 and 5:00 am as well, and no word on whether you would pay the late hour fee, plus the delivery fee. And if the item is a $5 anywhere pizza? It could end up being a pretty costly pizza!

I don't think it will save any food waste. The first thing NCL cruisers stated is that if they were being charged for delivery, they'd make it worth the charge, ordering a multitude of stuff, just in case. Why incur another charge for a sandwich later in the day, just order all you think you'll need on the breakfast order and only garner one delivery charge. A little overboard, IMO, but for those with kids who may use RS a lot, those charges would add up over the week.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the other lines. I'm sure they are watching to see how this plays out with NCL and Carnival and trying to figure out how to best use it to their advantage.
Old April 12th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Admiral

On my last cruise it was very port intensive(like 11 port days out of 14), so we ended up having room service breakfast most days. If you want to go out at a 7am arrival you can't wait until 7am for buffet to start. If you booked a tour you need to literally be on the dock at 7:15 or be left behind. The only option earlier is 6am continental buffet while room service offers hot food delivered at 6am.

If I had to pay for breakfast everyday it would not have gone over well...though I do support the after midnight supplement of a few bucks.

They will play with the formula to maximize profits over consumer complaints. Eventually everything will be extra like on airplanes. 7am departure $15 extra, 8am departure $10 extra, 9am free departure time. Peanuts at the bar... card please, want to use the slide...$1 a trip, bubbles in the hot tub...$3 for 5mins.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries