Old February 10th, 2005, 01:17 PM
TomS

Default Carnival vs. agent bookings

I have a question regarding which is a better deal - booking with Carnival direct or using an agent (on-line)?
Just booked for Destiny Feb 19, 2006 cruise with Carnival direct and had a quote of $1532 for two and was told that inside cabins were sparse so I took one of 3 offered (Rivera mid ship).
I just looked up on Expedia and found rates $100 less and more choices of cabins.
Should I change to Expedia or some other agent?
Tom
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Carnival vs. agent bookings

I've always wondered this myself, what I found on the last cruise I took, was that TA had almost same price but offered upgrades. I've been trying to book on the Liberty for 02/04/06 and prices are within $20.00 every where I check, and not really any upgrades available. I'm a bargain hunter but this is the date we want (friend is celebrating 40th birthday). Do you have a better chance with upgrades if you book directly with Carnival?
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Be sure that the price you found includes all of the taxes and port charges. Many people get caught with this. Check into it. If it is a better deal, you can just have your reservation transferred.

Old February 10th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Admiral

My goodness yes! This cruise is in 2006 or 2005? In almost all cases you can get a better deal through a travel agent than directly with the cruiseline. In addition you usually get much bettere service as far as your agent working to get you upgrades, watching the price to see if it goes down and getting you the lower price, etc. etc. What the price is by booking directly should be your starting point and look for agents that will discount this price by sharing part of their commission with you. This is not possible with RCI but it is with CCL products. All of the agents that advertise right here on Cruisemates are reliable agents that have few complaints and have been chosen to be allowed to advertise here based on their good reputations. Expedia is also a reputable agency as are thousands of others. You just have to work through then to find one that YOU feel comfortable with. Understand also that the very lowest price is not always the best price. Service and reputation also counts. We never book with any agency that we cannot contact by phone or that charges any additional fees or cancellation fees in addition to whatever the cruiseline decrees. Good luck!
Jim

Old February 10th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Admiral

I ended up doing our cruise on-line with an online place someone recommended. I was nervous at first. After I noticed our deposit was in the Carnival system, I felt better. We just were an Inside Quad Guarantee and this particular online place had the best rate. I looked around at lots of different online places. The Carnival PVP I spoke with could not match the price. Everything worked out fine and we were magically upgraded to the best grade OV somehow!! Just ensure the place you book with is reputable/recommended -I think I have read that all the TA that advertise here on CM are reputable.
I hope you get a good rate and have a great cruise!

Old February 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Passenger

Be careful with Expedia. We booked our hotel room with them and our reservation was 'lost' . We walked in off the steet and was given a better price than what Expedia offered. When we called to get our money back from the original booking we were given a hard time and it took about 6 weeks and NO apology. I would hate to see this happen for a cruise!!!

TRIUMPH!!!

Destiny - 2004
Spirit - 2002
Paradise - 1999
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Passenger

Oops, forgot to change the dates in my excitement!
TRIUMPH!!!
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
TomS

Default Re: Re: Carnival vs. agent bookings

i don't know if I have a better chance of upgrades with Carnival. My cabin is assigned because I'm afraid of what kind of room I would get otherwise. Does that mean that I don't qualify for an upgrade?
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Yeoman

"was told that inside cabins were sparse" for a 2006 cruise? I can't imagine that particular sailing would be filling up unless it's a partially chartered ship. Wow.

I always spend months researching my cruises. First, I pick the exact cruise that I want to take then check ALL websites for the best price. I watch the websites on cruises sailing next week for example, to see if they drop their prices like other online agents. I also keep an eye on my cruise choice to see if it's price is fluctuating.

When I grow up I'm going to be a stock broker.

Holiday May 2000
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:18 PM
whitedog

AS of Jan. 1st all online sites are only allowed to show carnival suggested price . To get discount you have to contact directly to see what kind of offers are available.
Old February 11th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Everybody has their own "best" way to book a cruise. After having used a local TA for my first few cruises, I started dealing with a Carnival PVP. She has booked my last five cruises, and YES, I did lots of homework - local TAs, online agencies, and got my best deals thru my PVP.

I do still check the other sources before making my final booking for each cruise, but always end up with that same PVP. I have not cruised without getting either reduced rates, upgrades, and/or shipboard credits. However, all PVPs are not alike - I just happened to get a fantastic one who looks out for me. And that makes me happy-happy!
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I used a travel agent the first time and had great luck with very good deals. The second time I called Carnival direct hoping to just go through them. They were very helpful and gave me a quote. Their trip included cruise, airfare and transportation. I went to my travel agent again and he beat the airfare by 150 per ticket, and the cruise he beat by 100 pp with taxes and port charges. As for the transportation a cab works for me. The bottom line is I have had great luck with travel agents. Plus if there are any problems you know where you can find them.

Old February 11th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cotton........ please do tell ) We could all use a good PVP I booked through Carnival, I can't get diddly from them. ty
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Would love to share my PVP with all.......but I don't know the rules here, haven't been here but a few times. On the other cruise board I'm on A LOT, we can't give out info about booking agencies names, etc.

If it's ok, I'll be glad to give her name. ??? (I'll check back tomorrow.)
Old February 12th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Same here Cotton. Advertising is not allowed in the message boards
Jim

Old February 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Passenger

I just booke through carnival for 11/05 and my TA couldn't touch it.

Old February 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Then you did the right thing booking with Carnival, Millie and you should look for another TA!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Suse

We have recently booked a cruise for our family, consisting of 5 cabins, everything from a suite to inside cabins. I booked directly with Carnival (agent David Fredericks) and cannot say how pleased I am. We are past cruisers so I knew that we would get a discount however on top of that he added two additional discounts, the early booking and a military discount (my husband is a Col. in the USAFR). The inside cabins were ridiculously low $519.00 total cost (including taxes and port fees) for two people in the cabin! The outside cabins were not much more (an additional $60.00 pp). Our suite (the largest on the ship) was $760.00 pp (including taxes and port fees). I realize that we're on one of the lower end cruises however how could be go wrong?

David is a wonderful agent, I highly recommend calling him directly.
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I will always use an agent over an internet agency or the cruiseline direclty. From experience, I find that when there is a problem the agent gets more accomplished.

I am still reeling from a Carnival agent telling my TA in May 2002 - while we were stuck 9 hours in SLC when Spriit Hawaii cruise was cancelled that they couldn't get us a flight back to Miami - Keep in mind we booked air through Carnival - that it "wasn't her fault we booked first class air." This really really peeved me due to the fact that our air was twice the price of the cruise. Had we booked with the cruiseline, we would not have gotten the solution that we did.

Anyway, Tom, I always use my agent because of the service that is provided if there is a problem. She may have only 10 people booked on the cruise with a problem as opposed to the hundreds that booked directly with cruiseline or internet agency. The personal service is worth the extra $100 to me.

Jodi

Old February 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I checked prices all over the place and ended up getting pretty friendly with the carnival rep. I told him the lowest price I found and he met it and I mentioned that I had been offered ship board credit with another company and he met that too. It doesn't hurt to deal and ask for more, he probably tells everyone he works with what a tight wad I am.