Old March 10th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: smoking

GLRounds thought I was finished but just read your post......your grandmother smoked for 94 years and it killed her....lol....thanks too funny.

Old March 10th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Admiral

"So our family should be denied the opportunity to vacation because smokers want to pollute the atmosphere?"...........................OBrien.

We are not entitled to a risk free life. We have to make choices. We make choices based upon the benefit/risk ratio. I don't jog down the side of the highway but I see people jogging down the side of the friggin' highway every morning driving into work. What in the heck are they thinking? They are increasing their heart rate, increasing their blood flow, and increasing their oxygen intake. Yet they are breathing in all the pollutants emitted by the thousands of automobiles screaming past them at 45 mph. Am I to complain about being denied the opportunity to jog down the highway because of all the carbon monoxide fumes?

I don't go into risky neighborhoods downtown. Am I suppose to complain about being denied the opportunity because there are thugs in the area? I don't eat high cholesterol foods. Am I to complain about being denied the super size french fries? We have to make choices even though sometimes they are not the most desirable.

I'm sorry your child is affected by smoke. That's a bummer. I'm also sorry for all the other people who are not completely healthy.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 11th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Passenger

OBrienLads-You have to admit, the more they post the worse they sound.
We are going to do the Paradise (back to back) for 2004
Happy Sailing to you too,
Roger and Lois
Old March 11th, 2003, 01:39 PM
SPIKE

NON-SMOKERS STAY TO THE PORT (LEFT) SIDE OF THE DECK
SMOKERS STAY TO THE STARBOARD (RIGHT) SIDE OF THE DECK
EVERYONE ORDER A BIG DRINK AND RELAXXXXXXXX
AND BE HAPPY
Old March 11th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Admiral

It seems to me that there are no particular "rights" about taking a cruise. Consider, for example, that many ports haven't heard about the ADA.

Just as the rest of the general population ought not have to cater to smokers, neither should smokers have to cater to those who have breathing problems.

I like the rules in Singapore. If you can see the sky, you can smoke. Otherwise, NOT.

And we just returned from a cruise where smoking was ONLY allowed on weather decks. The smokers did just fine, I didn't hear a single complaint.

There is a long-standing legal doctrine (no, I am not going to practice law here) called "assumption of risk." If you have a really good seat at a baseball game, there's the possibility that you might get beaned by a foul tip. You go to the game, assuming that risk.

If one KNOWS that smoking (or any other activity) is allowed on a cruise ship or any other public venue, it's up to the individual to decide whether the risk is worth the reward.
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:13 PM
GLRounds

Default Re: Re: smoking

Rick,

Glad you like that Grandmother anecdote. She used to call me in the middle of the night and so sweetly ask me to bring a couple of packs to her retirement home. . Tough old gal !!

O'brien,
I misread one of your earlier posts. I thought you said KILL when you said ILL, so I thought your even bringing your child onto a ship where smoking is allowed irresponsible. My apologies. I don't get the "environment" comment (used to be a member of the Sierra Club until it became a political organization), but I assume you actually mean MY SPACE. I thought that was covered earlier with the Starboard/Port thing.

The "Assumption of Risk was very good and to the very heart of the matter.

Gary
Old March 20th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Beginner

X
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:06 PM
K

Seriously, people, get a life and move on!