Old July 19th, 2001, 12:15 PM
elycelynne

Default Going solo

Hi, everyone!

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who's sailed solo (meaning without friends, family, significant others, etc.) on any of Celebrity, Holland America or Princess.

I'm considering a future cruise on one of those lines and was hoping to hear from any of you who would like to share your experiences (positive or negative) as to how comfortable you felt, if the particular cruiseline did anything to make you as a solo passenger feel more welcome, and any other observations you might care to pass along. I'm in my mid-40's and have already sailed with Carnival and Norwegian.

(I'm already aware of the virtues of Seabourn in this area, but I don't think I'm quite ready to sail with a luxury line just yet.)

Anything you have to offer would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

elycelynne
Old July 19th, 2001, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Going solo

Hi ...

I haven't sailed solo but have met people who have.

I remember fondly a lovely lady (probably in her late 60's) on Song of Flower. My husband and I were sitting, chatting, and having a cocktail. She smiled a wonderful smile, announced that she was travelling alone and would we mind company for a few minutes?

Of course we would enjoy company. She was totally delightful and we spent a good bit of time with her along the way. She added a lot to that particular cruise experience for us.

We do have a "singles" editor here on CruiseMates, so you might want to check that area out.

I've done "chick cruises", sailing with a friend or my sister-out-law (that's what you get in the settlement when you divorce her brother) and we, as single women leaving our husbands at home with the kids, cats, and dogs, have always been "adopted" by new friends.

Both Celebrity and HAL offer a "singles" get together early on in the cruise, at least the ones we've been on recently. It's not a meat market sort of thing, just a chance to get to know the other solos.

My best advice, don't be shy about asking to join others in casual situations.

pamda -- CruiseMates First Time Cruisers Editor