CruiseMates' Readers Cruise Reviews

Royal Caribbean International Adventure of the Seas by Joni (addicted2) Southern Caribbean September 27, 2009

We flew the red-eye and after a stop in Atlanta arrived at the airport in San Juan a little after noon. We gathered our bags, took a short taxi ride to the pier and went through security, got our Sea Pass cards and were up eating lunch in the Windjammer before 1:30. A very quick and efficient process at the pier. However after a long overnight flight without a whole lot of sleep and the warm humid air we looked terrible in our boarding picture and it was the first time we didn't buy it.

The staterooms were available after 2:00 and we slept for a few hours before the muster drill which was at 6:00, without having to wear the lifejackets the muster drill was a lot quicker and more enjoyable a great change on Royal Caribbeans part. Luggage was delivered soon after the drill was over and after unpacking and a shower and change of clothes we were ready for the cruise to begin. The ship departs late at 8:00 and there was a great view of San Juan as we left. Ate dinner (second seating) in the Main Dining Room. The food was very good and so were our table mates (would someday like to find out how they assign table partners, we have always ended up with very good ones) the service was so-so the waiters seem to be handling more tables than they used to and could tell they were rushed trying to keep up.

The first day was at sea and gave us time to wander the ship. The weather was warm but was hazy so it seemed to keep a lot of people from the pool deck. We have cruised on two other Voyager class ships so we pretty much knew our way around. Spent time in the casino (won some so we didn't stay long) and just relaxed and enjoyed the only day at sea on this itinerary. We ate at the Windjammer for dinner, we actually eat most dinners there we like the quiet laid back atmosphere, good choice of food and since we were cruising this time without the kids we wanted to spend time alone.

First port-of-call Barbados, had not been to this island before and just wanted a nice relaxing beach day. We went to the taxi tent just outside the pier, the taxi system there was not set up well and would only leave when there was a full van (10-14 people) going to the same location. This took well over a half hour waiting for a full van and although the beach we went too (Blue Monkey Beach) was very beautiful and the water calm, there were so many locals trying to get you to buy things or ride the waverunners that it became very annoying and we left after a couple of hours. Went to "downtown" to try and find some souvenirs to buy but there but didn't have much luck. We also didn't have much luck trying to find something for lunch so we went back to the ship. We ate lunch played mini golf and hung out the rest of the day onboard. Overall one of my least favorite islands and would probably not go back. Ate at Portofinos, excellent food and service, although a bit slow to bring courses.

Second port-of call, St. Lucia an incredibly beautiful island. Spent the day at Reduit Beach a great beach with a nice beachside restaurant (Spinnakers) had a wonderful time and although there were a few people selling stuff they were all around in the morning but as the day wore on they left you alone. Went back to the pier at 3:30 did some shopping, the prices there are a bit more than at most of the islands but not too bad. Overall this was our favorite port because of the mountainous island, great beach with amenities and friendly people. Went to the Love and Marriage show, it was great and would recommend this as a don't miss activity.

Day 5 port-of call, Antigua another beautiful island, great taxi service. Our taxi driver was a sweat lady who gave us some history of the island as she drove us to Long Bay beach, didn't pay for taxi until after she returned us to the ship, which was great knowing that she would return at the requested time. Beach was excellent, calm water, very few people selling stuff. There were small shacks on the beach with t-shirts and drinks to buy. Had a great time did a little snorkeling. After returning to the pier we did some shopping and the prices were very inexpensive and a lot to choose from. Ate dinner at the Windjammer again and called it an early night.

Day 6 port-of-call, St. Maarten we have been here before and it is one of our favorites. Took the water taxi and shopped a bit before heading to the beach again. We asked the taxi driver to take us to Coconut Grove Beach (recommended by one of the locals) somehow though we ended up being taken to Orient Beach. I don't think he knew where the other beach was. We stayed at Orient Beach and had a wonderful time. Great amenities and lots of places to eat at. There were a few topless sunbathers but not too bad. Spent all day there and went back to the pier around 4:00 shopped a little right at the pier before boarding the ship. We decided to try the Main Dining Room again and although the food was good and our tablemates were great, the service was terrible.

The wrong drinks were brought, it was lobster night and my husband ordered lobster after his steak and never got it. My drink had a hair on the glass so I asked for a new drink and never got it. A couple at our table never got their coffee after dinner. We had way better service in the Windjammer. We went with the other couples from our table to the Quest show, it was excellent, hadn't laughed so hard in ages.

Last port-of-call was St. Croix, a very beautiful island with lots of beaches close to the pier. It was great to spend the day at the beach (Sandcastle Beach) where you can still see the ship. The beach was great with a nice little restaurant on the beach and drink service at your lounge chairs, and nobody hassling you to buy anything. There was locals selling t-shirts and stuff at the pier and overall the people are very laid back without anybody pushing you to buy stuff or taxi drivers trying to wrangle you. Will definitely have to go back.

Departure day, we had a later flight home so we picked luggage tags that weren't called till 10:15. We like that they let you leave your staterooms at your leisure and have the assigned departure lounges. After our color of tag was called we walked off the ship found our bags quickly and had one of the porters help us out (a wise decision) the taxi line was very long when we walked out but the porter went to the end of the line flagged a taxi and loaded our bags and we were off (I'm sure a lot of people in line wish they would have used the porters.) Same thing at the airport we had an airport porter help with our bags, the Delta check-in line was even longer than the taxi line was. The porter went to the front, printed our boarding tags retrieved our luggage tags took us to the front of the line and helped lift the bags on the scales and we were off. Quick note though you have to take your bags to the agriculture screening machines before lining up at the airlines line.

Overall experience was excellent, this is a port intense cruise so with an island stop five days in a row we didn't do much late night because of the early arrivals at the islands. Other than the bad experience with the waiter in the MDR we had friendly service everywhere else. Had an excellent waiter at night in the Windjammer (thanks Joel Ng) Both boarding the ship and departing went very smooth and very quick, definitely have the porters assist you when leaving. We love the Voyager class and would do this cruise again, would love to do it as a back-to-back and will at least have to look into doing the alternate itinerary.

Recommended Articles