CruiseMates' Readers Cruise Reviews

Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Crown Bermuda August 29, 2004

We were a family of five: Two adults and three children, ages 10, 8 and 6. We sailed from New York.


We were at the terminal at 11:30 a.m. We got our photo ID cards and boarding took no more than a half hour. We were on the ship by 12:15.


We were on Laguna Deck, rooms 5078-5080. The rooms were spacious and had plenty of drawers. The beds in our room were not together, so the cabin steward, whose name was Roy McLean, put them together. My children's room had two beds and a bunk. Bathrooms were adequate, with very hot water in the shower and sink.

We took a tour of the ship and had lunch. The ship left at 4 p.m. on the dot. Four coast guard boats followed us to the Verrazano Bridge (NCL's Dawn was behind us). Luggage was at our room not too long after we boarded.


The first night we ate at the Seven Seas dining room. You did not have to get dressed up on the first night, but after that you had to wear a pair of dress pants and shirt. We waited no more than five minutes to be seated. We were so impressed with the service that we decided to eat at that table for the rest of the week. Our waitress' name was Fe Agcaoili and the waiter was Librado Catimbang, both of the Philippines. They knew us all by name; there was nothing but teamwork in the restaurant and all over -- what a system they all had.

There was a variety of entrees -- veal, lamb, pork, beef, chicken, etc. They had hot soups and cold soups, fire ice melon soup, pistachio and banana and others. One night they had a presidential menu, with some favorites from the past presidents. My wife had the Jacqueline Kennedy salad, which was a pretty simple salad, but she loved it. They offered a fish entree and a vegetarian dish every night. I ordered everything; you can order more than one entree, so on the last night I sampled three. One was a pork chop, which was dry; the other was a veal which was cut thin like roast beef in some kind of marinade.

I think "Freestyle" is the way to cruise, because you can eat whenever you want. Like in the Seven Seas dining room, you could any time from 5:30-10 p.m.

For breakfast we went to the Yacht Club, which had a buffet. They had scrambled eggs which were very mushy (maybe they were powdered eggs), bacon, sausage, pancakes, thick French toast, cereals, yogurt, fruits, assorted Danish, and the croissants were the best. We mostly ate breakfast in the Seven Seas -- it had more of a selection; eggs any way you wanted them, pancakes and so on. As for snacks, you could go to the Cafe Italia and snack there. We only went once and they had pizza. It's at the stern by the Jacuzzi. Also in the casino they had some finger foods, and at the Top of the Crown in the club.


The entertainment was OK, not bad. It included the Jean Ann Ryan Company, dancers from Canada; two guys called Sharkbait, who did some juggling and rode a unicycle; and a comedian, Steven Van Zandt, who was funny especially when he did his "Rocky" impersonation. They had a singer that I never heard of -- Elvy Rose. The cruise director was Simon and his assistant was Karl. Both were great and funny. Monday was 70s night, and I was picked to be a judge in a contest: The ladies had to act out the song "I Will Survive." When they were done, we had to do a dance from "Saturday Night Fever." It was embarrassing for me because I really don't dance, but I came in second and we got a coffee mug and the winner got a tote bag with some stuff inside.

I lost a lot of money in the casino. They had plenty of slot machines, maybe three blackjack tables, craps, poker and roulette.


St. George, Bermuda was our first port. It was beautiful. We took a taxi to Tobacco Bay Beach for about $6 for the five of us. The water was beautiful and very salty, but refreshing, with fish swimming by your feet. Then we took a walk to Fort St. Catherine's, a great place to view the island. This was an old British fort, and not expensive to get into. At night they had a street fair for everyone from the cruise ship. People in Bermuda are very nice. It is very expensive to live there; in the local grocery store a loaf of bread was $4.50.

The second port was Hamilton. There are some very nice houses there. We took a three-hour taxi tour for $150. He took us to Crystal Caverns, which was nice. The taxi waited for us; admission was $12 per adult and $7 for children 5 and over. We went to Gibbs Lighthouse and had the taxi drop us off at Jobson Cove beach. It had nice pink sand and beautiful rocks and big waves. At night they had a street fair with booths selling all kinds of stuff, like jewelry and crafts.

The third port was Kings Wharf; there's not much to see there. There's an aquarium, which we didn't visit, and a small shopping mall with gift shops. We went to the glass factory where they make all kinds of glassware in front of you. It was very hot in there and pretty expensive. You could rent a scooter for about $45 a day, bring it back by the ship overnight and return it the next day.

The ride home was smooth sailing -- the only time we felt sick was Monday on the way to Bermuda. We all enjoyed the trip very much and definitely would sail Norwegian Cruise Line again. By the way, they do check immigrants. My wife is a resident alien from Italy. She has been in the United States since she was 10 years old, and Immigration kept her passport in New York until we got back.

Recommended Articles