CruiseMates' Readers Cruise Reviews

Celebrity Cruises Mercury Mexico December 29, 2003

We are Jim and Sue, in our mid-50's - all kids grown and gone. We both work fairly high-stress jobs and Jim works out of town much of the time. For us, a cruise is a way for us to kick back and have time together without cell phones, pagers or radios beeping. We book ships that offer an elegant experience rather than a casual or high-energy atmosphere. For the Caribbean and Mexico, we tend to book for the ship and stateroom rather than the ports. We spend much of the time in the cabin and on the verandah, so for us booking a suite makes sense.

This was our second cruise on Mercury and our second Escape Cruise. We were on the first Escape sailing in September 2002 and really enjoyed the adults-only ambiance. We always book carefully for a time when most children will be in school - not that we dislike children; we just prefer to vacation away from them. I've looked forward to returning to Mercury for two main reasons: the Thassolatherapy (T-pool) and the Rendezvous lounge. Both are much better than their counterparts on the new M-class ships. We booked Royal Suite 1026 and were very much looking forward to the butler service and special pampering that go with this level suite.

I should also mention that through the message boards we had become "acquainted" with about 50 of our fellow cruisers and were looking forward to meeting them. Some special friends from a previous cruise, Ray and Joann, were also to be onboard.

We flew from Denver to San Diego on Sunday, the day prior to sailing, and stayed at the Embassy Suites. At 5:30 we met some other message board acquaintances staying at the same hotel for cocktails. This informal gathering was a great start to the cruise; 20 people came (some from other hotels in the area) and it was fun to finally meet the people we had been talking with on the message board. It was especially nice to see Ray and Joann again.

Monday morning we took a taxi to a nearby liquor store for a case of champagne (for cocktail parties in the suite) and headed to the ship. We had received E-docs for this trip, so we had to get luggage tags at the pier and fill them out. The E-docs were disappointing because we had always looked forward to receiving the nice package in the mail, but I guess that's the way the world is going. We handed our luggage to a porter and went into the terminal, where we were guided to a special table for suite check-in. The Social Hostess, Shelly White, came to welcome us. We checked in within five minutes but were then guided to the dreaded waiting area. After about 20 minutes we were allowed to go through security screening and onto the ship.

We were handed a glass of champagne at the top of the gangway (one of the special touches Celebrity recently added) and welcomed aboard. It was about 11:30 and staterooms wouldn't be ready until 1:30 so we went to Cova and did a little people-watching, then set off to re-explore the ship. We soon joined some of our new friends by the pool. A little after 1 p.m. we went to see if our suite (RS 1026) was ready - it was. The suite was very nice; we loved the walls of windows in both the living room and the bedroom. Sliding doors from the living room and a regular glass door accessed the balcony. The balcony was not too large, but there was plenty of room for two chairs with footstools, a cocktail table and a padded lounge chair. The bathroom was all marble with a Jacuzzi tub and a separate shower. The toilet was in a separate room with a door. There was more than enough storage space for all our bathroom stuff. The walk-in closet in the bedroom had a dressing table at one end. The bedroom itself was very large and had a second TV and additional drawers and cupboards. I didn't care for the art in the suite -- large framed small designs that looked to me like classic modern art from the 60s.

We sat on the balcony and watched the happenings on the dock. We popped our bottle of champagne and the vacation had begun. Throughout the afternoon our butler, Keith; the steward, Daniel; and the assistant steward, Jose, all came to welcome us. The Assistant Hotel Manager, Fivos Papadapolas, also stopped in to say hello and to tell us that Captain and Joyce Adamidis (our friends from Millennium) had told him to take special care of us. Now I feel like a Queen!

We attended the lifeboat drill, dropped our life-vests off in the cabin, and hurried up to the Sky Bar for a sail-away party with our new acquaintances. About 40 people turned out. It's amazing what the Internet has brought to today's cruise experience. After sail-away we went to (early) dinner and found that we had a great table directly in front of the Captain's Table and a very nice couple to share it with. Two seats at our table were empty, but we were assured they would be filled - this is important because we often skip dinner and hate to leave others stranded. We always tell our table-mates the first night that if we aren't there at 6 p.m., we aren't coming and to go ahead and order. After dinner we went to the Rendezvous for an after dinner drink and then to bed.

Tuesday - Sea Day

It's always a treat to have the first day be a sea day; we woke early and ordered coffee from room service since it was before our butler was on duty. I went to the T-pool later that morning (Mercury's T-pool is to die for!). We looked through the Daily and didn't find anything we had to attend so we spent the day relaxing and reading. We delivered invitations to a cocktail party in our suite that evening and made arrangements with Keith to chill the champagne and deliver some snacks. At 5:00 our cocktail guests began arriving and we had a nice time talking with them and hearing about their day. At 5:45, we cut the party short because we had to meet the group for the Captain's table. The Chief Engineer and the Chief Sanitation Officer hosted. Our table-mates and another couple that had been assigned to our table were also invited. We enjoyed the dinner, but declined the priority seating at the show because we were tired.

Wednesday - Cabo San Lucas - New Year's Eve

When we awoke, the ship was docking at Cabo. We called Keith for our coffee and breakfast and killed the morning reading and relaxing. We saw a number of whales spouting from the balcony. We met the group (14 people from the message board) for a chartered whale-watching trip. We didn't see any whales, but had a great time. After we returned to the ship from the whale-watching trip, we were very tired and decided to have dinner in the suite and dress later to attend the New Year's Eve celebration. If you have a suite on Celebrity you can have full dinner service in your cabin, served course by course by your butler - this is one of my favorite benefits of the suite.

Dinner was excellent and we still intended to dress about 10 p.m. to attend the party, but by 9:30 we were both falling asleep so we toasted each other with a nightcap and went to bed. I was very disappointed to miss the celebration, as it was one of the main reasons for booking this cruise. People who attended said it was wonderful and included a huge lighted ice sculpture that said 2003; at midnight they broke away the 3 and replaced it with a 4.

New Year's Day - Mazatlan

Since we had previously visited Mazatlan we stayed on the ship. Our day started with coffee, juice and rolls delivered by Keith. We spent a couple of hours on the balcony having an extended breakfast. Later we both went to the T-pool for a long soak. Then we wandered around the ship and browsed the photos in the Photo Gallery. We decided to go to the buffet for lunch and even though I tried to take very small portions, I ended up eating too much. Throughout the trip I found the buffet meals to be good, with a nice variety of items from which to choose. I never had a chance to try the pasta station, but it smelled great. We took bowls of ice cream back to the suite and spent the afternoon on the balcony reading. We ordered a small dinner in the suite that evening. It was a wonderful day for relaxing. I find that the days in port, when most people are off the ship, are almost like having your own (very large) yacht with extra attentive service. We very often don't get off the ship much when we sail in Mexico or the Caribbean.

Friday - Puerto Vallerta

We barely woke up in time to see the ship "thread the needle" as it entered the port at Puerto Vallerta. We had watched ships do this several times from the nearby Westin Regina Hotel and wanted to see it from the ship. It was just dawn and the lights of the city looked beautiful, especially since many Christmas lights were still on. I'm always amazed at how today's big ships can maneuver in small areas; after going through the narrow entrance to the port, the ship turns around 180° before docking.

Laziness won out again, and instead of going ashore, we repeated our routine of the day before. We planned another cocktail party that evening and made the arrangements with Keith. We spent a little time wandering the ship delivering the invitations and stopped for a cappuccino in the Cova. For lunch we went to the soup and sandwich area and had a good ham, turkey and cheese wrap. We found Ray and Joann sitting on the aft deck eating their lunch and joined them. Our cocktail party guests started arriving about 5:00. We had a great time - by now most of the group had gotten know one another so it was a very relaxed fun time. Then we had appetizers and soup for dinner in our suite. And another day slipped away.

Saturday - Sea Day

This was another day at sea and would be a formal night for dinner. I went to a lecture on Maya culture and found it to be pretty mediocre; since I've traveled and studied that area a lot for my photography, I was disappointed. I didn't attend the follow-up ones on the remaining sea days. We went to the buffet for a small lunch and after a quick nap we got ready for the Captain's Club party in the Navigator just before dinner. Our table-mates were surprised to see us in the dining room that night and seemed happy to have us back. It was fun listening to the stories of their adventures in port. After dinner we stopped in Rendezvous for a Cognac and met Ray and Joann and the late dinner group having pre-dinner cocktails. This between-dinners meeting became a pretty regular get-together through the rest of the cruise. Later we went up to the Cova/Martini Bar and listened to a very good singer/piano player do Sinatra-type songs. When his set was over we invited him to join us for a drink and soon Shelly, the Social Hostess, joined us and bought another round for the table. After about an hour we figured we had had enough for one night and headed for the cabin.

Sunday - Acapulco

Most of the day we followed our usual lazy routine, but that evening I had made reservations through the Internet for dinner with Joann and Ray at La Perla, the restaurant that overlooks the cliff divers. We met them at the gangway and took a taxi to the restaurant; we agreed on a price and the driver would wait for us. Our table had a wonderful view of the divers. Dinner was only so-so, but it was one of those things you have to do. After returning to the ship the four of us went to the Martini Bar and listened to the piano player again. A little before 11 p.m. when the ship was due to sail we excused ourselves and watched the sail-away from our balcony.

Monday - Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo

This is a port we had never visited and I was interested in exploring it. We were already at anchor when we woke up and called for coffee. The harbor where we anchored was beautiful. I wanted to go to a small beach we could see from our balcony, but Jim reminded me of the fairly long tender ride and then the trip by boat taxi to the beach. I'm sure he was right, but I am still disappointed we missed it. We decided we would have a sail-away cocktail party that evening. Since it was to be an informal dress night and we had a mix of both early and late diners coming, I made sure to put "come as you are" on the invite.

I soaked in the T-pool and then we checked the photos in the Photo Gallery again. By now, we have adapted well to the routine of not having any pressures and spent the day relaxing and reading.

It was another great cocktail party and we watched the port grow distant from the balcony. We were having so much fun the party went on far past the start of early dinner. When it ended we decided that we had eaten so many "little sandwiches", cheese & crackers, shrimp and chips and peanuts that we couldn't eat anything else anyway! We headed to the Rendezvous and met the group prior to late dinner for a cocktail and then called it a night.

Tuesday - Manzanillo

We didn't leave the ship and I'm sure by now you can guess what we did to occupy ourselves. (It may sound boring to some, but to us it is pure heaven.)

Wednesday - Sea day

Our last two days will be at sea; this will be a formal night for the Captain's Farewell Dinner so we plan to eat in the dining room. It was a beautiful day, although the temperature was getting cooler as we headed north. The pool area was crowded, but people were staying in places that were out of the wind. We spent some time in the shops and in Cova people-watching. The afternoon was spent reading and napping, with the knowledge that this would end all too soon and we would have to return to real life.

We dressed early for dinner and had several formal pictures taken and then our pre-dinner cocktail in the Rendezvous. The dance floor was quite crowded; it seemed that no one was skipping this last formal dinner (we noticed this on some past cruises). Dinner was lobster and prime rib (there were other choices but these were the favorites) and both were done well. We excused ourselves before the Baked Alaska parade and went back to the Rendezvous where I could sit in a more comfortable chair. The late-dinner group was there and invited us to join them for karaoke later that night - someone from the group was going to sing. Normally we wouldn't choose to do that, but we decided to give it a try and found some seats in the Pavilions Nightclub. Soon about 30 people from the group were there and the singing began; it ranged from bad to not quite as bad, but everyone was having a great time.

The next thing we knew they announced that our whole bunch was going to sing as a group. That was a surprise, but helped along by a few adult beverages Joann and I got up with the rest of the group and we did Louie Louie. I'm sure it was a Grammy-winning performance, but we had a good time. Following karaoke we all went to the Navigator for dancing. The music was for the younger crowd, and as many times as we asked for something for the "older folk," they only played one song. After about an hour we left and went to bed - about 1 a.m., very late for us!

Thursday - Sea Day

This is our last day aboard Mercury. It's always a day of mixed feelings -- happiness at all the great times, and sadness that it's all ending.

We decided to have one final cocktail party to finish off the champagne and to have a last chance to visit with a few of our new friends. I had a final soak in the T-pool. As we wandered around the ship we met many of the group and had some great conversations. During the afternoon we did our packing. Then it was time for the party. We had fun discussing where our next cruises were going to take us and all the things we had done on this one. At about 6:30 we ended the party because we needed to go into the dining room and deliver our envelopes to our waiters. We said our good-byes to our table-mates and then met the late dinner group in the Rendezvous one last time.

Friday - San Diego

Disembarkation went smoothly; being in a suite, we were in the first group off the ship. We found our luggage quickly and were in a taxi in about 10 minutes. Airport check-in went just as well and we killed three hours in the Delta Crown Lounge.


This was a very good cruise, but not the best we have taken. Mercury remains one of my favorite ships; she is well cared for, clean, and for the most part, staffed by excellent crew. We would sail Mercury again without hesitation and will definitely sail on another Escape Cruise. The sailing before ours (Christmas Cruise) had 500 children onboard so the crew members were all very glad to have the adults-only cruise.

There were some noticeable areas of concern; some appeared to be cost-cutbacks and others just disorganization. In the past if you asked for something that was not readily available the response had been that they would immediately check into it and see if they could locate it. If they couldn't get it, some substitute was always offered. This time, the response often was "No, we don't have that" - and that was the end of the conversation.

Some cost cutbacks were evident: no cream or half & half for your coffee, only non-dairy. It took several days of asking before they came up with some whipping cream from the main galley to put in our butler's pantry for us. They no longer use coasters for drinks, only a cocktail napkin which quickly shreds with the moisture off the glass. These are small things that probably wouldn't be noticed by a first-timer on Celebrity, but were commented on by several in our extended group.

Recommended Articles