Carnival Cruise Lines - Cruisemates Reader's Cruise Reviews
Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Glory
by Barry
Eastern Caribbean
May 12, 2006

Who: Barry & Kathy Cooper and Barry's Brother and Sister-In-Law.
Last Cruise: Carnival Glory (Western) - Aug 05
Next Cruise: Carnival Miracle - Mar 07 and Carnival Glory (Eastern) - May 07

Getting started
Flew in on Ted (United) the day before the cruise. Stayed at my brothers house in Lake Mary (north of Orlando). Getting to the ship was fine except for the traffic back-up on the toll road at the new bridge (cost us about 10 minutes!).

Embarkation in Port Canaveral was very easy. We arrived at the port around 12:00 (including the traffic jam). The lines were actually relatively short once we got in the terminal building (through security). We are all Platinum members so we actually went to a special line with no one in front of us. We went to the Skippers Club, but since they were busy, we were taken to the regular line with no wait. Once we were checked in, we were escorted all the way to the ship with no line (of course, the lines were all relatively short, but it was very nice being escorted through). We then went to the Red Sail restaurant for lunch (typical first-day buffet and Deli stuff). After lunch went to see Maitre 'D to let him know about my wife's dietary restrictions (low-fat, non-dairy). I must say this was our biggest disappointment of the cruise. In the past, they have had my wife discuss her meals with the dining room hostess the day befort, but this time there was no planning before we got to the dining room each night. Was not a real problem (she eats a lot of chicken breasts and baked potatoes). Muster drill was at 4:00 and was pretty short (life vests were the thin kind so it was not too hot and we were also on the shady side of the ship).

The Cabin
We had booked two cabins (separately) as a Balcony guarantee. We both ended up on the Empress Deck (8B) about 5 cabins apart, pretty much mid-ship. It was a great location.

The ship
As this was our second time on the Glory, it did not take us too long to remember where things are located.The jogging/walking track was pretty good and so was the gym. I must say that the public rooms were all still freezing! I had planned ahead and brought a sweatshirt and more long sleeve shirts and my jeans to wear in the casino on the Sea Days. The dining room and show room (Amber Palace) never felt really cold.

Food & Service
Dinners were really good to excellent. Our dining staff was excellent (head waiter, Enrico and asst waiter May). We ate all of our lunches in the Red Sail Restaurant and were very good. Unlike last time, I did not miss the Chocolate Buffet the last day for lunch. We did eat dinner at Emerald Supper Club once. It was really good (my wife and I both had the lobster). The service in the Emerald Supper Club seemed a little bit less than the last time we tried it on the Glory. One negative that we did have was that on the last 2 nights of the cruise, my wife ordered jello. I am not sure what they brought her, but it could not have been jello - it seemed to be grainy. I thought about asking the Maitre'D and or the chef to come out and tell us what it was or why they are serving it, but just did not want to make a big deal of it. Will try this again on our next cruise and hope for the best.

Ports & Weather
The weather on the entire cruise was great. It was a little overcast on the last day at sea and was a bit chilly at the back of the Lido deck where we tended to hang out. Do you think if I wrote a personal note to Bob Dickinson complaining about the weather on the last day he will give me a free cruise? :)

Our ports were Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Because my wife was not feeling great, we did not get off the ship in Nassau (we have been there way too many times). We did get off in St. Thomas (3rd time there) and went to the shops right there at the port. In St. Maarten (our 1st time there), I did go into town with my brother and his wife to shop some. Luckily, we are doing the same cruise next year and will hopefully get to see and do more.

Getting off the ship was extremely easy since we were all Platinum Level members. We met in the lobby at 7:10 AM and got off the ship by around 7:40 AM. Our luggage was waiting for us and we were in the car and gone by 8:00 AM.

This was our 13th cruise on Carnival and we were definitely not disappointed. We all thought the crew on the ship were excellent. A couple of negatives. The tomatoes the whole time on the ship were not very ripe (ok, it is a very small negative :)). I did notice that there was a nasty smell toward the back of the boat on the Empress deck on the day that we boarded, but they seemed to have been cleaning the carpet and I did not notice the smell a couple of days later when I went back that way. The only real negative was that I did not feel that my wife's special diet requirements were dealt with well. In the past, the maitre'd has assigned the dining room hostess to specically make sure that everything was taken care of which did not happen on this cruise. If my wife had been feeling better and not sticking to grilled chicken and baked potato, we probably would have mentioned it to the maitre'd.