What a disappointment! We have cruised on Celebrity 10-11 times in the last 10 years and were expecting a cruise at least equal to Celebrity. Azamara is being publicized by Celebrity as upscale from Celebrity. Boy did they miss the mark.
The small ship (700) passengers was wonderful and the ship itself is beautiful. The crew was helpful and courteous but oh so inexperienced.
We received a questionaire the 3rd day on board asking for comments. They knew they were in trouble. At least they were looking for help.
Problems and Disappointments
- Pre cruise hotel, booked thru cruise line, had no idea about pick up time next morning. Had never heard of Azamara or the Quest.
- Hotel booked thru cruise line was the pits.
- No trays in buffet area -- had to juggle plates.
- Plates were HOT. They handed out paper towels after a few days of complaints and dropped dishes.
- No maps of ports available if you were not on a tour.
- Waiters in charge of wine -- no wine steward. Waiters knew nothing about the wines.
- Open seating was a disaster. Servers had maps, even on last night, to locate tables. Good luck in finding your wine from night to night, particularly after eating in one of the specialty restaurants.
- We like fixed seating where your server and assistant get to know you.
- No music channels on TV in stateroom. Same music over and over and over.
- No directory of movies on TV.
- Movies and shows on interactive TV were few and poorly recorded (some cutting off before movie ended) and insufficient number for a 14-day cruise.
- No dessert tray at dinner. You had to guess from the menu and the servers didn't know because they were as new as was the menu.
- They replaced Michelle Roux -- what a mistake! Celebrity is well known for its food; not any more. Examples -- no lobster tails but 4 lobster dishes including smallest lobster tail -- 2 bites, and 3 tasteless unidentifiable lobster "things;" excargot in cream sauce, not garlic butter; "soft shell" crab appetizer in a "HARD shell" -- not possible to eat -- no thing to crack the shell; etc.
- Limited choices, particularly for healthy eaters; salmon. Alternative was dried out and overcooked both times it was served.
- Ice cream bar at buffet had 8-10 choices but NO LABELS, so server had to repeat choices for every single person -- stupid!
- Music in theater pre-show and elsewhere was for travelers in their 20's, not in their 60's and 70's. It was awful and much too loud.